HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Leaking Oil

7 posts in this topic

2007 YZ450F - I'm leaking oil in two places!

The first is out of the 8mm cam chain tension bolt (the one on the inside or right) - I've adjusted my valves 3 times now so I'm guessing just taking the tensioner on and off has wore the gasket....

The other leak is coming from behind my front sproket - although it acts as a natural chain lube it's not cool having oil flung all over the place - this is a 2007!!!!

Well just figured I'd share with you guys to give a heads up and see if anyone else has had these problems - I've bought the seals so now it's time to break er down and get to repacing them...

2007 YZ450F - I'm leaking oil in two places!

The first is out of the 8mm cam chain tension bolt (the one on the inside or right) - I've adjusted my valves 3 times now so I'm guessing just taking the tensioner on and off has wore the gasket....

The other leak is coming from behind my front sproket - although it acts as a natural chain lube it's not cool having oil flung all over the place - this is a 2007!!!!

Well just figured I'd share with you guys to give a heads up and see if anyone else has had these problems - I've bought the seals so now it's time to break er down and get to repacing them...

How many hours on your bike do you have.Having to adjust the valves 3 times sounds like 3 times too many for a 2007.

oh man I've raced all of the Texas Winter Series... I've raced Cooperland and now I'm in the middle of the Arkansas State series... I've got 30 hours on it probably...

It's about time to put in a new top end and I may end up putting in some new valves.... I ride hard and I guess I'm overreving too much... two stroke habits aren't going away....

I replaced the cam chain tensioner gasket last night and that had an obvious crack in it so that was explainable... My snap on impact wasn't able to get the front sprocket off so I'm taking it to the shop today...

Man, I have never heard of anyone having to make that many adjustments in that short if time. You must be a rev'er.

Honestly I try not to but I think I'm just in a lower gear than I should be. - I'm a fast intermediate rider - top 5 in Texas Winter Series so it's not like I don't know how to ride - Just trying to adjust to the 4-strokes.... I need to get my hand off the clutch too..

Wow that is the most wear I have heard about in a while...30hrs and 3 valve checks...and 2 blown gaskets....tensioner gasket is from over maintaining...but the other is weird....possibly too much rpm...but fix soon.

I am one for maint but you win the award for the most valve checks .... you may consider a new cam chain and tensioner when you do your top end...

Also since you mention it....I bet your clutch is really worn if you are abusing it/using it too much:thumbsup:

yeah I like to think better safe than sorry... I think you're right about the clutch after back to back moto's this past sunday i could tell it wasn't releasing all the way... may need to get in there and check it out.