Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Taffy

Kickback

8 posts in this topic

if you hold the throttle open even slightly it will kick back. leave the throttle alone & it'll start fine.

Taffy

The information above is correct. DO NOT give it gas prior to starting it. Pull the compression release in, kick it over a few times to prime the fuel and oil systems, follow the factory starting instructions and it will fire. Assuming it is jetted and tuned properly.

I have a piece of velcro on my throttle and around the front brake lever to prevent anyone from turning the throttle while my baby is resting.

Why does everyone want to turn a throttle?

Bill

------------------

86TT225, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank and IMS seat. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA.

What am I doing wrong in the starting

procedure if I'm getting kickback?

It's happened a couple times. I thought

the first time it was because the damn

thing wouldn't start so I gave it a pump

of gas. The second time this wasn't the

case, but I do recall I didn't go too far

over on the compression release. Maybe

only an inch?

-Ken

Boston with no manual

keywords: kickback, starting, kick start

You will receive some good advice on this forum on this subject. A severe kickback can cause damage to the machine, look in the archive. What I do when I first start my WR cold; if I give it any gas at all(which usually isn't needed unless very cold out) I pull in the compression release and kick it through several times before I find top dead center and fire it up. This has worked for me. I believe you might be loading up a little too much on gas. Just my opinion....TW

------------------

99 WR400

BRC

NOHVA

AMA

Is it correct that opening the throttle advances the timing (TPS function)? If so, does it advance timing enough that upon ignition the piston is forced back down rather than making it past TDC and then down? Seems to me this scenario turns the crank backwards…kickback.

My $.02

Ken

[This message has been edited by Ken (edited 01-20-2001).]