04 Yz 450 Suspension Help Needed!!!

:applause: I have a 04 yz 450 that I absolutely love, but have never been able to dial in the front suspension very good. I am 6' 5" and 240#, I mostly ride in the woods with a trip to the dunes every now and again.

The problem is that the front wheel is feels very unconnected to the ground, whether I am trying to hold a line on a single track, or trying to keep it in a rut on a hill climb or something. My friends tell me that the front wheel is bouncing all over, and is only on the ground about half of the time. Right now I have the clickers set at stock settings because I have clicked back and forth a million times and haven't found anything better. Please post any suggestions that you might have.

:applause: I have a 04 yz 450 that I absolutely love, but have never been able to dial in the front suspension very good. I am 6' 5" and 240#, I mostly ride in the woods with a trip to the dunes every now and again.

The problem is that the front wheel is feels very unconnected to the ground, whether I am trying to hold a line on a single track, or trying to keep it in a rut on a hill climb or something. My friends tell me that the front wheel is bouncing all over, and is only on the ground about half of the time. Right now I have the clickers set at stock settings because I have clicked back and forth a million times and haven't found anything better. Please post any suggestions that you might have.

Increase your rebound so it stays planted longer.

Man at your weight I'd have to think you'd need to have the suspension reworked with stiffer springs. I only weigh 180 and am having issues with my suspension so I can't imagine riding stock with 60 more pounds. I bet a revalve with stiffer springs would make a world of difference for you.

If you are still using a stock rear shock and spring you have to change it. You have to change the spring because the stock one is way too light for you. You are compressing the rear spring too much and taking all the weight off the front end. Once you have the rear set up properly you should be able to dial in the front as the bike will have a more even weight distribution. You should remove the rear shock and spring and send out to a reputable suspension company like factory connection and get it hooked up..it is money well spent. You may also want to try a tall seat.

Thanks for the advice you guys. This weekend I rode my friends KTM 300 that has suspension work done, and it would go anywhere do anything that you wanted. I know that suspension work would be the best option, but I don't think my wife thinks that it is money well spent. Do you have any suggestions that would work with the stock springs? I know I'm a fatty for the stock suspension, I guess I've spent one to many nights reading TT when I should have been at the gym!!

There really isnt much that can be done with the stock rear. Trying to fudge it is like putting a band aid on a hatchet wound...but....if it was me....I would browse the classifieds and try to find a spring only and swap it yourself..it is pretty easy to do. I will ask a couple of my buddies if they have anything kicking around that they wouldnt miss..maybe I can scout one up for you. You can stiffen up the shock as much as you want but it still wont be right..let me see if I come up with a spring for you...stay tuned...