HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slowxr

Valve Job. What parts to order?

8 posts in this topic

I've got a friend that's helping me with my valve job.

He said to get on Service Honda and order the parts.

Intake/exhaust valves, springs, head gasket.

What else do I need.

Thanks in advance.

Your cam chain may have stretched. Depending on the hours, you should probably replace it.

Also, depending on the hours, you should do the piston rings while your in there. Inspect the cylinder and it should be fine, and just throw in a new set of rings.

The tensioner failed on mine. It worked great with the engine just sitting there, but allowed the chain to get loose when running.

Be watchful for valve seat problems. XR's only can make and install a replacement it is shot or loose in the head.

Service Honda may have the best prices, but they are slow and charge a lot for shipping. Try and get everything in one order.

I called Precision Concepts in El Cajon.

They recommended a complete top end since I'll have the top opened up.

They said valves, piston, new rings etc for about $700(parts and labor). Sounded pretty reasonable.

Anyone have experience with their work?

No one has mentioned valve guides, seals, retainers, rockers, camshaft, or replacing the piston with a higher compression slug? :applause:

I called Precision Concepts in El Cajon.

They recommended a complete top end since I'll have the top opened up.

They said valves, piston, new rings etc for about $700(parts and labor). Sounded pretty reasonable.

Anyone have experience with their work?

These guys are top notch, everything will be done perfectly.

No one has mentioned valve guides, seals, retainers, rockers, camshaft, or replacing the piston with a higher compression slug? :applause:

Don´t forget the camshaft middle bearing when worn out. My local machine workshop did an excellent job. Always replace the camchain and tensioner while you´re there.