HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stuntrider7x

Best Skid Plate for xr650l

12 posts in this topic

I have the Moose one on my XRL also. Maybe someone will correct me if I'm wrong but they all seem identical. Utah Sport cycle, Moose, XR's only.

Just find the one with the lowest price and go or it.

I had a moose, but then stepped up to a bigger one. The smaller ones dont really protect the cases enough. I found the bigger one on ebay. He said it came off an 2000 xr600. Then I had seen the identical one on a friends xr650r. I believe that is the bike it was intended for. I had to drill the front bolt holes, and put in spacers to keep the large wings from resting on the cases. The wings now encompass the front and bottom of both cases. What a good feeling that is! I dont know the make, no marks.

Just intall my Utah Sport cycle one today...fit my '07 XR650L nicely and I got it from Rocky Mtn. on the cheap. (free shipping over a benjamin so order some oil or something else).

I would recommend this one; although I have yet to hit anything, seems VERY stout.

Need to remove the stock crash-bars that are currently on your L no matter which brand you get, I believe.

Thanks Squatpuke. I went to the Utah sport cycle site and checked out the 650r skidplate , and there it was. That is the one I would recommend. It is much bigger and better than the one for the L. It will bolt right up to L, but I modified to fit better for me.

Just intall my Utah Sport cycle one today...fit my '07 XR650L nicely and I got it from Rocky Mtn. on the cheap. (free shipping over a benjamin so order some oil or something else).

I would recommend this one; although I have yet to hit anything, seems VERY stout.

Need to remove the stock crash-bars that are currently on your L no matter which brand you get, I believe.

The Utah one, at least, will go on right over the stock bash bars with no loss in ground clearance- you just shift the plate fwds a little and use just the clamps to mount it.

I'm convinced that when I was riding in oh-so-rocky CT this saved my cases a few times.

Dave

I just picked up a Utah sport myself. has very nice coverage. but it is a clamp on insted of a bolt on. however the Steahl Aluminam Skid plate shown here seems to be a bolt onand looks as though it covers nice.

http://www.dirtrodders.com/images/xr650_engine.jpg

http://www.dirtrodders.com/images/xr650_angle.jpg

Whatever nameless skidplate is on my 600 looks just like that one.

Seems to work well. Looks like the previous owner made sure of that. :applause:

I just picked up a Utah sport myself. has very nice coverage. but it is a clamp on insted of a bolt on. however the Steahl Aluminam Skid plate shown here seems to be a bolt onand looks as though it covers nice.

http://www.dirtrodders.com/images/xr650_engine.jpg

http://www.dirtrodders.com/images/xr650_angle.jpg

That looks like the Utah Sport which bolts in the front, with 3 clamps on the bottom.

Dave, I didn't think it would...but now that you say that I guess I can see it happening...it would slide it forward the thickness of the stock bars. Ground clearance would be the same...

I think i am going to get the MOOSE xr650r skid plate for my 07 xr650l but will the clamps still work. Does anyone have any pics of an R plate on an L. Thanks!!!