Class A Vs. Class C RV

Why would one spend the extra money for a class A RV? Are they better than a class C? I'm selling the toyhauler and currently looking online at Class A's And C's. What can you tell me about the 2 and there differences and similarities.

Thanks

SD

A class "A" motorhome is on a frame specifically designed for the motorhome and a class "C" motorhome is based on a heavy duty truck frame.:applause:

I've never owned ether type so, I'll leave the "other" differences up to someone else.

An A will most often have a diesel, while the C can be either. An A is going to be more expensive.

An A is typically bigger, heavier and roomier, but some C models are still plenty big. How many people do you need to sleep?

Buy used. There are plenty good used ones around.

Why would one spend the extra money for a class A RV? Are they better than a class C? I'm selling the toyhauler and currently looking online at Class A's And C's. What can you tell me about the 2 and there differences and similarities.

Thanks

SD

The class thing has to do with the license that you need. To drive a class A you need to get a non-comercial class A license.

What makes it class A? Over a certain weight it will be class A. Extra Axels will make it class A. In general a class A will have heavier duty chassis construction. Think big truck vs. small truck.

Thanks

SD

A class "A" motorhome is on a frame specifically designed for the motorhome and a class "C" motorhome is based on a heavy duty truck frame.:applause:

Class C is built in a van chassis, actually.

An A will most often have a diesel, while the C can be either. An A is going to be more expensive.

In a class A you have the choices of a pusher (rear engine) and puller (front engine), and you'll find a 50-50 mix of gas and diesel powerplants. Class C will be 75% + gas engine.

Class A chassis manufacturers vary, Ford, Workhorse (GM) Freightliner, and John Deere all make (or recently did) make Class A chassis, while in the C category you are limited to GM and Ford, and recently I have seen C's built on a Dodge Sprinter chassis (unless you go super-mini)

A class A motorhome is built on a chassis that is specifically designed to handle the rigors of being a MH, while the C is built on an extended wheelbase van chassis. The A has heavier braking, suspension, and frame under it, and a complete frame running all the way to the rear of the body (usually) Older C's don't have a full length frame, but many of the newer ones have it, and this is an important item to investigate, especially if you plan to tow.

You will have a higher towing capability, better handling, and braking in a Class A, especially while towing. Many newer A's come factory equipped with HD hitches and brake controllers for the "dinghy" (extra car) crowd. If you intend on towing with a "C", check the weight of the rig empty, add 20% for all the crap that one totes, then add the weight of your trailer and toys, now compare to the GCWR of the chassis, you may be in for an unpleasant surprise.

Both are no treat to do maintenance and repairs, as you either access the motor from the drivers compartment, or from underneath.

The class thing has to do with the license that you need. To drive a class A you need to get a non-comercial class A license.

What makes it class A? Over a certain weight it will be class A. Extra Axels will make it class A.

You are speaking of license requirements, and the terms of Class A and Class C RV were around long before CA made those laws.

Actually, CA states this:

With a Basic Class C License:

* a 2-axle vehicle with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs. or less

* a 3-axle vehicle weighing 6,000 lbs. or less gross

* any housecar of 40' or less

But once you attach the trailer to move the toys, then you fall into the requirements of a non-commercial class A license.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/cdl_htm/lic_chart.htm

So, if you intend to continue living in CA, and want to purchase this combo, looks like you may have to visit the DMV (if you haven't already)-My sympathy's go out in advance on this endeavor. :applause:

Class C is built in a van chassis, actually.

In a class A you have the choices of a pusher (rear engine) and puller (front engine), and you'll find a 50-50 mix of gas and diesel powerplants. Class C will be 75% + gas engine.

Class A chassis manufacturers vary, Ford, Workhorse (GM) Freightliner, and John Deere all make (or recently did) make Class A chassis, while in the C category you are limited to GM and Ford, and recently I have seen C's built on a Dodge Sprinter chassis (unless you go super-mini)

A class A motorhome is built on a chassis that is specifically designed to handle the rigors of being a MH, while the C is built on an extended wheelbase van chassis. The A has heavier braking, suspension, and frame under it, and a complete frame running all the way to the rear of the body (usually) Older C's don't have a full length frame, but many of the newer ones have it, and this is an important item to investigate, especially if you plan to tow.

You will have a higher towing capability, better handling, and braking in a Class A, especially while towing. Many newer A's come factory equipped with HD hitches and brake controllers for the "dinghy" (extra car) crowd. If you intend on towing with a "C", check the weight of the rig empty, add 20% for all the crap that one totes, then add the weight of your trailer and toys, now compare to the GCWR of the chassis, you may be in for an unpleasant surprise.

Both are no treat to do maintenance and repairs, as you either access the motor from the drivers compartment, or from underneath.

I will need 1 that can tow a enclosed trailer with tools and a 65 mustang. and a boat and trailer that is about 6000lbs.(not at the same time of course) Im sure the stang and trailer will weigh more. So im guessin' i would need something that can pull up to 10,000lbs. Before we bought the toyhauler i noticed that all class c's that we looked at had very low tow rating. like max was 4,500lbs. that is why we went toyhauler. But now I'm tired of taking two trucks to the lake during the summer:thumbsdn: 1 for the boat and 1 for the toyhauler. It gets spendy real quick:eek: Camping fees and GAS!

So im guessin' i would need something that can pull up to 10,000lbs.

Although i'm not sure about 10,000 lbs towing, it's not going to happen with a "C" motorhome...

If your towing needs are that great, you need a class "A" with a big diesel...

We had a C for 10 yrs or so and liked it allot. We now have a 39 ft Diesel class A and love it.

This one is a Freightliner chassis and like any pusher it rides very quiet, like a bus with a rear engine. Mileage is around 8 mpg pulling roughly 3,000 lbs.

The A's do have allot of basement storage and with up to 4 slideouts available there is a ton of room.

IMO, the A is more like a home than the C. While working away from home I lived in mine for a year and loved it. The C would have been ok but not the same.

One thing for sure though. If you take your rigs to places where you may get stuck it'll take some special hook-ups to drag an A out. Unlike the C's the A has no real frame around the front. That's been a concern of mine which luckily has not happened yet.

A class A has more overall room but a class C sleeps more people. Our class A is badass, go for it.

Not true On the sleeping part. My buddy just got one that sleeps 6. And 6 looks pretty average for a class A. I have seen class A's that only sleep 2. But i don't need a washer and dryer and a dishwasher. I just want one that sleeps 4 just for my family. Right now my toyhauler can sleep up to 8 and guess what. everybody wants to sleep in my RV. I also bring a small tent with us right now and have made friends in the middle of the night get out a pitch the tent due to there snoring problem:mad:

I think i will be trading in the TH for a Diesel Pusher. Geez i remember back when i said if your not tenting it, its not camping:busted: Look at me now. The way i look at it. The less time setting up and tearing down means more time for FUN:thumbsup:

Geez i remember back when i said if your not tenting it, its not camping:busted: Look at me now. The way i look at it. The less time setting up and tearing down means more time for FUN:thumbsup:

My wife seems to think tenting is the only way to camp, I differ, I like a hot shower, dry bedding on rainy nights, and not being able to hear the flatulence of the guy in the next campsite.:eek:

That, and the fact that you can load up an RV with all the stuff you need, and leave it stocked.:applause: