HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dino2000

XR650R swingarm bearings.

6 posts in this topic

how do i get to these things to service them. do inedd some special tools. anyone done it?

Thanks in Advance, Dino

Dino200, just did my swingarm bearings this week. I removed the linkage from the shock and pulled the swingarm bolt out. I could not get the swingarm off without the swingarm preload bearing tool. I ended up making the big tool out of an 1 1/16 socket with the help of the pig pen website. I had the small tool for the swingarm from honda. Once loosened, swingarm came out. One bearing was pretty bad, but after a good cleaning and greasing, I was satisfied. The tool isn't to hard to make if you have a dremmel tool and cut off wheels. I used some foam that you get from craft stores for flower arrangements and pushed it into the swingarm. It left a perfect indention that was used as a pattern for the socket.

Dino200, just did my swingarm bearings this week. I removed the linkage from the shock and pulled the swingarm bolt out. tool. I ended up making the big tool out of an 1 1/16 socket with the help oI could not get the swingarm off without the swingarm preload bearing f the pig pen website. I had the small tool for the swingarm from honda. Once loosened, swingarm came out. One bearing was pretty bad, but after a good cleaning and greasing, I was satisfied. The tool isn't to hard to make if you have a dremmel tool and cut off wheels. I used some foam that you get from craft stores for flower arrangements and pushed it into the swingarm. It left a perfect indention that was used as a pattern for the socket.

Did you have any trouble removing the swingarm bolt?

Take it from someone who did not grease these bearing. I was 82 miles into an 85 mile race and the bolt snapped at the linkage/swing arm. The bolt was cut by the needle bearings. I had to push for 2 miles to find a road, worst day of my life. Do check and lube all these bearings. This cost me nearly $1k in damage. It is a bit of work to get in there but needs to be done, not often just done. :applause:

Take it from someone who did not grease these bearing. I was 82 miles into an 85 mile race and the bolt snapped at the linkage/swing arm. The bolt was cut by the needle bearings. I had to push for 2 miles to find a road, worst day of my life. Do check and lube all these bearings. This cost me nearly $1k in damage. It is a bit of work to get in there but needs to be done, not often just done. :applause:

Honda does not add any grease to their bearings due to shipping issues. (they do not want any grease or oil falling from their bikes or they will be fined-what I was told by a Honda rep). The only grease on the bearings is from the manufacturing process. If you take apart a new bike- they are very dry. You need to grease even when new. Sounds like you learned the hard way. The parts should come apart fairly easily if lubed. If the swingarm bolt is very tight-it is stuck to the bearing sleave-no bueno.

Check your head bearings also...