XR 600 side covers on a 07 XR 650L

hola all kinda new here so hiyas ! :eek:

In my infanate wisdom decided to go buy a new 650L for riding back home in michigan well... my job puts me in phenox AZ for 5 months out of the year and being a very rookie rider im finding the plastic is taking more than its fair share of abuse.. especaly tring to do loose rocky hill climbs.. anyways i found a good lot of decent plastic off a parted bike on ebay, have everything to make it semi cool lookin on the street except for the side covers for the airbox and muffler and was wondering if any one has fited the UFO 600 covers on the L ? :applause:

The right side is exactly the same as the 650L, the left side is competely different and will not clear the battery on the L.

Unless you modify and put the battery in the airbox.

Aguy I know did this and the bike is way cleaner looking, plus you move that weight towards center, and forward.

Unless you modify and put the battery in the airbox.

Aguy I know did this and the bike is way cleaner looking, plus you move that weight towards center, and forward.

Man I'd love to see that! I've heard about 5 people say that they have done it but none of them could provide a pic. :applause:

Man I'd love to see that! I've heard about 5 people say that they have done it but none of them could provide a pic. :applause:

where do you reckon the battery is?

I'll give you a tip :eek:

1. It aint in the airbox

2. It aint in the side cover

3. It aint in the tool pouch

4. It aint in the swingarm.

It's front of the airbox, transversly mounted. I'l; see if I can get a better pic

IMG_4054.jpg

OK here we go.

You can see the black CRF450X battery on top of my airbox. Does it crank the big slug XR628 motor over easy? Does it always start on e button?

Does a bear chit in the woods?

xr600hybrid002.jpg

Please do, I'm wanting to mount a battery on my XR600 as well.

By the way, did the XL600 that you got the crank from have e-start?

Please do, I'm wanting to mount a battery on my XR600 as well.

By the way, did the XL600 that you got the crank from have e-start?

Hey Jeffo, good to "hear" from ya I see ya posts over on ADVrider.

With regard to the crankshaft I got one brand new ( only took 3 weeks to get to me from Japan) from a XL600RMG. The XL600RMG was I believe the only XL with estart. I dont think it had kick. Check out XL600.de for specs

I bought it brand new from from Honda dealer for like $715 aussie (which is about $565US)

As you probbaly know when you buy a Honda crankshaft it comes with everything - a blued conrod and new bearings.

Not many people know this. The fact is the XL crankshaft slotted straight in and allowed to me make the first genuine estart XR628 in the world.

Did it take a lot of time? Ummmm yep!!!

Thanks for that crank info, I'm going to look into it.

I hate to be a pest but do you have a close up pic? It looks like the seat won't go on from that pic.

Thanks for that crank info, I'm going to look into it.

I hate to be a pest but do you have a close up pic? It looks like the seat won't go on from that pic.

very astute - yes I did cut the seat. I'm heading up to see the bike tonight so will take some then.

are you going to fit estart to your XR600?

I'm kicking around the idea if I can source that crank easily.

OK for all the XR650L riders out there who want to remove the left mounted rear battery and replace it with a much more svelt (but still monster CCA battery) here are the photos of MY Estart XR600 which of course never had a battery.

IMG_4142.jpg

Seat cut out.

IMG_4145.jpg

Note I'm running a XR650L CDO on my bike - soon I will switch back to the XR600 CDI

IMG_4143.jpg

BTW the battery is the standard CRF450X battery - I can crank this all day and it still fires up the high comp XR628 slug motor.

Thanks rmh, that is a ton of help!

I still can't figure out how some people say that they mount them in the airbox.

is that battery sealed so you could mount it with different orientation if desired?

Did you have to cut some of the foam from the seat, or mostly just the hard plastic base?

do you still have the auto decompression, or do you have aftermarket cam?

thanks

is that battery sealed so you could mount it with different orientation if desired?

Did you have to cut some of the foam from the seat, or mostly just the hard plastic base?

do you still have the auto decompression, or do you have aftermarket cam?

thanks

CRF450X battery

Yes cut some foam

I run a HRC engine and retained the auto as well as manual decomp - I run electric start so that means compression is not an issue for me

Can you feel the battery threw the seat when you ride the bike?

Can you feel the battery threw the seat when you ride the bike?

NO

I run ceet hard seat foam tho