Valve Adjustment Mix Up = Crisis?

I had the valve lifters (buckets) and pads (shims) out of my bike and in the house to calculate the new shim sizes I needed. My wife, dutiful straightener-upper that she is, moved the parts. :applause: Now I am not sure I have the lifters in the exact order that they came out. How bad am I screwed if I don't get them exactly back in the same position they came out of, and what, if anything, can I do about this dire situation?

I had the valve lifters (buckets) and pads (shims) out of my bike and in the house to calculate the new shim sizes I needed. My wife, dutiful straightener-upper that she is, moved the parts. :applause: Now I am not sure I have the lifters in the exact order that they came out. How bad am I screwed if I don't get them exactly back in the same position they came out of, and what, if anything, can I do about this dire situation?

They are all marked by color to where the needed to be. I would contact a yamaha dealer in the area that may be able to tell you where the go?? If you can not determine exactly where they go, I would purchase new ones from the TT Store. They have the best prices that you can find. A $125 in new buckets now will be way less then a new head later.

Problem is, they are all marked by the same color (a goldish dot inside the bucket). (I assume the color means the size, not the location.)

Not to worry...The color indicates the thickness of the pad that the valve shim rides on. They mix and match 'em at the factory to make shimming more consistant. Worse case, ya gotta buy more shims, as the pads may have worn a bit differently.

Well, the color of the dot in the bucket is exactly the same for all five buckets, but the shims are of varying thicknesses. Also, my understanding is the pads don't wear at all, the valve stems and guides change. In fact, I meastured all the pads when I took them out and found that to be the case (i.e., that they were exactly the width of the number on them).

The problem I need help with is not the color of the buckets, but what will happen if I put the buckets back in a different position than they came out. Anybody had experience with this?

New buckets would be the best fix. The cam lobes and buckets wear to each other during use so it's best to keep them together for the life of the parts. If you don't have too many miles on the engine, you might get away with just putting them on any lobe (of course check the shimming carefully). Then just watch for abnormal valve clearance problems in the future. Not likely to cause any serious damage as long as you listen for any "funny" valve train sounds. (PS: I would spend the $125)