advice on tank for XR650L

I own a 2006 650L and I'm in replaceing the tank.

I'm trying to decide on a fuel tank, but have heard that they can make the bike over heat due to having to removing the elephant ears.

Has anybody had this problem? Are there tanks that are better at keeping the engine cool? I've heard some riders shave off some of the front fender to help with cooling.

It gets quite hot in the summer where I live , so I'm a little concerned.

Any comments or anwers would be great.

Thanks

You could go with the clarke 4.7, port the front fender, and install some adjustable stays to keep the tank away from the engine. You could also apply heat tape to the bottom of the tank to help keep the fuel cooler. Most of the overheating issues seem to stem from a lean condition as a result of other mods anyways.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=10763

The acerbis front fender is already ported and helps vent air to the engine.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=21653

Nice fork setup Treadmarks. Ive got the 4.7 and have no overheat issues so far. Treadmarks see you still have that long vent to the gas cap still, go check out the 1 way check valves they got, lets air in but shuts off when tipped ,looks real clean no long hose sticking out.

Todd

A few months ago I installed a Clarke tank on my 650L, the gas cap split in half last month.

Something to think about..

I had the same problem with my cap. I emailed Clarke, gave them my name and they replaced it free of charge in 2 days!:applause: I have not had a overheating issue with my Clarke 4.0 tank.:eek:

I had the same problem with my cap. I emailed Clarke, gave them my name and they replaced it free of charge in 2 days!:applause: I have not had a overheating issue with my Clarke 4.0 tank.?

I replaced mine with the aluminum one, nice to hear they took good care of ya. :eek: