Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pgiinc

anyone every mod a stock 650R baffle?

10 posts in this topic

I have a HRC tip A little loud

I have a FMF Q2 A little loud

The stock tip is nice and quiet but so restrictive, is the a way to open it up a little still keeping quiet

I think I am going to sell my FMF Q2

I like being lound on the street with it

but when I am crusing trials I want to keep quiet not to draw attention

I drilled out the stocker with a 2" holesaw. Probably functions similarly to the HRC baffle. I have not really compared it to anything else except a PC T-4, which is louder, but I do not consider it loud the way it is. Give it a try as it costs nothing except time. I can't even imagine how this bike is rideable with the stock baffle as mine could hardly idle worth a crap.

Is your stock tip truly stock or is the exit baffle drilled out with a 2" holesaw?

I don't think the drilled stock tip, at least to 2 full inches, is going to be quieter than the Q2. The info on xr650r.us says this about the stock tip drilled to 2 inches (only data I could find):

"I used a calibrated dB meter from work & positioned myself 8 feet behind and 8 feet to the right of the bike."

At;

1500rpms = 92dB

2500rpms = 96dB

3500rpms = 102dB

4000rpms = 104db"

So that would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 dB at 3250 RPM for comparison sake (see below). That is loud. From what I've read, the HRC tip is louder than that.

I just uncorked and put a new FMF Q2 on, and tested it. It tests 86 dB at 1400 RPM, and 95 dB at 3250 RPM. At that is at the 22 inch distance, not 8 feet.

A couple people told me you can drill out the stock tip LESS than 2 inches and it will be more quiet and obviously more restricted, but I still have doubts that it will be as "quiet" as the Q2. Maybe so, maybe not - no data other than the above to go on. I have an extra stock tip, I will probably try it one of these days.

At first, I thought the Q2 was OK - but I'm becoming slightly disappointed as I ride it more - I was hoping it would be more quiet than it is. It is loud, bordering on too loud, but I certainly wouldn't classify it as obnoxious - but unfortunately I won't be the one classifying how it sounds. I wish it were 93 dB or less. Although I love the way it runs, starts and don't heat up nearly as much, I'm at the conclusion if you need quiet, theres not much choice but to leave it corked. :applause:

If you don't like the noise a Q2 puts out, you won't like the noise after drilling out the tip. It is much louder than stock and the sound is very raspy. I found it to be borderline obnoxious. Also, drilling out your tip will compromise some of your lower end power. Since you have the HRC , Q2 and stock, why not try another, I recommend the pro circuit 496.

If you don't like the noise a Q2 puts out, you won't like the noise after drilling out the tip. It is much louder than stock and the sound is very raspy. I found it to be borderline obnoxious. Also, drilling out your tip will compromise some of your lower end power. Since you have the HRC , Q2 and stock, why not try another, I recommend the pro circuit 496.

Any test data?

Sorry no data.

I was just wondering - any test's I've read the Q2 come out slightly lower. But there's always headers and stuff in the mix, and no XR's.