Linkage/Swingarm "string cheese" questions

Hello Gang,

I am going to attempt to lube my swingarm and linkage this weekend and am unsure about something. The link at ThumperFaq gives a detailed explanation about the string cheese in the linkage bearings, but makes no mention of the Swingarm bearings.

http://www.thumperfaq.com/swingarm.htm

Will I find the "string cheese" in the swingarm bearings?

Can I repack the bearings without removing them from the swingarm?

Or should I just take the beast down to the local dealer and let them do it?

Thanks from a newbie when it comes to bearings.

All rear susp. bearings use these type bearings.I just serviced mine today and they all appeared to have the yellow" plastic" surrounding the needles. i had never heard of removing these so I just applied the moly grease on them after wiping them off. There are sleeves and collars that must go back together a certain way so work carefully and use a manual if you have one.

There are sleeves and collars that must go back together a certain way so work carefully and use a manual if you have one.

Yeah, I was looking in the manual and have to admit I am more than a little intimidated by all those pieces. I am thinking I'll use a digital camera to detail the disassembly, so that I will have half a chance of putting them back in correctly.

Thanks for you input.

I just did my new '07 and just lubed the bearings with some good synthetic waterproof grease. Easy to do and well worth the effort. The swingarm pivots had very little grease in them from the factory as well as the steering head bearings, but that wasn't unexpected. Just get in there , take it apart , grease all the bearings and learn how it all fits together. That's part of the fun of owning dirtbikes, for me anyway. :applause: Good Luck---WR Dave

I just did my new '07 and just lubed the bearings with some good synthetic waterproof grease. Easy to do and well worth the effort. The swingarm pivots had very little grease in them from the factory as well as the steering head bearings, but that wasn't unexpected. Just get in there , take it apart , grease all the bearings and learn how it all fits together. That's part of the fun of owning dirtbikes, for me anyway. :applause: Good Luck---WR Dave

Dave, thanks for your encouragement. If I run into problems, I'll give you a call.?

Now you say "good synthetic waterproof grease". Do you mind me asking what you used and where u got it? I think I saw a tub of Bel Ray stuff at a nearby Yami dealer, but I don't know if it was waterproof. Or should I just go to Crappy tire?

Thanks.

Hello Gang,

I am going to attempt to lube my swingarm and linkage this weekend and am unsure about something. The link at ThumperFaq gives a detailed explanation about the string cheese in the linkage bearings, but makes no mention of the Swingarm bearings.

http://www.thumperfaq.com/swingarm.htm

Will I find the "string cheese" in the swingarm bearings?

Can I repack the bearings without removing them from the swingarm?

Or should I just take the beast down to the local dealer and let them do it?

Thanks from a newbie when it comes to bearings.

No cheese in the swing arm bearings. A good cleaning with brake cleaner will do the trick. You can leave the bearings in the swing arm, but if your bikes is over two years old it is best to pull the seals on each end and replace. There are roller bearings between the washers (behind the seals) that need cleaning and grease.

If you are going to grease your linkage every other year I have found it best to pull the "string cheese" and replace it with a good water proof grease (I like bel-rays). You are able to get twice as much grease in there with out the cheese.

Get a good torque wrench and an oem manual and you should be able to do the job just fine.

it is best to pull the seals on each end and replace.

Hey Dano,

Thanks for the heads up on the seals. I think I'll order (and hopefully pick them up) before I dive into the swingarm.

If I am looking at the parts diagram correctly, it appears I need two oil seals for the outside of the swingarm and two for the inside. Does that sound right?

I am using Mobil 1 synthetic grease that I snagged from the shop where I was working. It is used on the highway trucks we were working on. The Bel Ray works well too. You can pull the plastic "cheese" out of the bearings with a pick , just make sure you don't lose any needles. I usually regrease my linkage every month or two depending on how much wet riding we do. I installed grease zerks in the swingarm and the horseshoe link so I can top them up any time I want. I'll help you out if you have any trouble, it's pretty easy. WR Dave.:applause:

Every month or two?!?! Holy cow! YOU are hard core. :applause:

I just wish you lived closer to me! I hate doing that job, and I only do it

once a year! by the way, I pay real well...

Jim

Air fare plus labor?????:eek:? Not as much hard core as don't like to let my equipment suffer, also I'm a mechanics instructor and it doesn't look good if my stuff is crap. WR Dave

Hey Dano,

Thanks for the heads up on the seals. I think I'll order (and hopefully pick them up) before I dive into the swingarm.

If I am looking at the parts diagram correctly, it appears I need two oil seals for the outside of the swingarm and two for the inside. Does that sound right?

You are correct.

I have seen many threads regarding regular service of the rear linkage (grease re-pack), does the swingarm need as much maintenance as well?

You guessed it. The linkage seems to need a bit more cleaning, but it all gets drug throught water and mud at the same time.

Thanks for all your help guys.

I got my Bel Ray Waterproof grease today and a portable heater for the garage (since it's still barely above freezing here). One local dealer didn't have any seals in stock so they wanted to sell me a bearing kit instead. I'll hold off on that and check another dealer for seals.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers.

Thanks for all your help guys.

I got my Bel Ray Waterproof grease today and a portable heater for the garage (since it's still barely above freezing here). One local dealer didn't have any seals in stock so they wanted to sell me a bearing kit instead. I'll hold off on that and check another dealer for seals.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers.

You will need to order the seals seperately unless you plan on purchasing the whole kit. Wait until you tear in to it. You may need other parts as well. I would take a look at the TT store. Best prices on oem parts

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all your help.

I got this accomplished yesterday, in just under 5 hours. OK, the 1st hour was spent driving around town looking for a socket to fit the swingarm nut. But it went reasonably well and I think I put it all back together properly.

Cheers.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all your help.

I got this accomplished yesterday, in just under 5 hours. OK, the 1st hour was spent driving around town looking for a socket to fit the swingarm nut. But it went reasonably well and I think I put it all back together properly.

Cheers.

By the time I take two trips in the house for more beer it takes me about five to six hours. So you are right on schedule:cheers:

• 9 months later...