Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dodger

Dumb oil change question.........

9 posts in this topic

So when you put oil back in, do you guys put in the first quart, and just cycle the engine through to move it to the rest of the motor? Obviously, the frame doesn't hole 1.7 quarts of oil........found that out last night on my first oil change on the bike. Nothing like fresh oil running down the frame, rad, headers and into the skid plate :lol: :lol: , now THAT will make you feel like a real noob :applause:

Do you run it for a minute, and let everything settle. The rest of my collection of bikes are all Yamaha 's, so this is just a little new to me on the BRP.

Thanks!

Ahhh yes, you have just been initiated:banghead: , I think most of us did that the first time. I put in one quart, start the bike and let it idle for 30 seconds or so, shut it off, pop open another beer, then top it off.

baahahaha i think that has happened to all of us...(some more than others) i normally put 1 quart in, start it up. Run around the block to make sure its nice and warm and then top her off with some good ol' oil.

I have a 97 xr600 and after changing filter and starting to pour oil into frame for the first time I got worried. I thought that maybe there was no oil in crankcase and starting bike was no good for me. Sat down drank cold one had a smoke and came up with this. Removed upper oil relief bolt?? on right hand side of crankcase and kicked bike over till oil starts to spill out. Then start and refill as needed. From what ive read this is probably not needed but works for me.

I have a 97 xr600 and after changing filter and starting to pour oil into frame for the first time I got worried. I thought that maybe there was no oil in crankcase and starting bike was no good for me. Sat down drank cold one had a smoke and came up with this. Removed upper oil relief bolt?? on right hand side of crankcase and kicked bike over till oil starts to spill out. Then start and refill as needed. From what ive read this is probably not needed but works for me.

You don't need to worry about it. The oil that lubes the engine comes from the frame tube. The oil in the crankcase just gets pumped into the frame tube. There is no need to put any in the crankcase.

It's not just a noob thing to overfill it and have a spill. I have had my 600 for 7 years and I just did it last night when I was changing my oil.

Two dumb noob oil change questions:

1. I know to make sure the engine is warm first, but does it matter if you check/change the oil with the bike on the side stand or a flat stand under the bike?

2. When you check the oil do you screw the dipstick in or just set it on the first threads?

Thanks!

Two dumb noob oil change questions:

1. I know to make sure the engine is warm first, but does it matter if you check/change the oil with the bike on the side stand or a flat stand under the bike?

2. When you check the oil do you screw the dipstick in or just set it on the first threads?

Thanks!

1 - I believe the bike is to be level front to back, side to side. I find that sitting on the bike with the bars to the left is the easiest access.

2 - remove stick, wipe, drop in, pullout, check level.

Stuffing a rag between the frame and tank will help stop "errant" oil when checking or filling.

Ahhh yes, you have just been initiated:banghead: , I think most of us did that the first time. I put in one quart, start the bike and let it idle for 30 seconds or so, shut it off, pop open another beer, then top it off.

I haven't tried topping off my oil with beer, is it good for the clutch?:thumbsup: .