Should i step down

Iv'e been thinking about stepping down to an 18" rear wheel from the 19". All i ride is trails and desert. Never ridden track and don't plan on it.

This is what iv'e heard about the 18" wheel.. its better for trail riding.

Its easier to remove the tire and fix a flat on the trail with the 18"

Are these statements true.

Thanks,

SD

IMO, the 19" wheel is better for one thing only...the MX track.

The 18" gives you a better selection of tires, plus the option of using a trials tire, the taller sidewall allows more flex for better traction and better rim protection.

As far as mounting is concerned, yes, the 18" is easier to mount. In the last two days I mounted an 18" D952 on my YZ and a 19" S-12 on my RM. The 952 is a stiffer tire than the S-12 yet it was easier to mount.

Let me askyou this: How many flats have you ever had trail riding? If this is a big issue then, yes, I would say go to an 18". I thought about this earlier this year and decided against it. Been ridin' for a .long time and had my first pinch flat in Moab three weeks ago (last flat was a bolt I picked up on the trail 4 years ago, 18" wouldn't have helped there, otherwise second in twelve years). If you flat alot it might help, but I see a minimal risk here. 18" tires are easier to mount.

Let me askyou this: How many flats have you ever had trail riding? If this is a big issue then, yes, I would say go to an 18". I thought about this earlier this year and decided against it. Been ridin' for a .long time and had my first pinch flat in Moab three weeks ago (last flat was a bolt I picked up on the trail 4 years ago, 18" wouldn't have helped there, otherwise second in twelve years). If you flat alot it might help, but I see a minimal risk here. 18" tires are easier to mount.

For me it was not an issue of preventing flats, it was primarily so that I could run a trials tire and also to have the extra sidewall for the flex, added traction, and rim protection.

can't i just get an 18" ring and tire and lace up my spokes and hub?

You would have to get a set of spokes for the 18" rim. You can use an OEM spoke set for a WR, or order a set of 18" spokes from Pro Wheel. If you buy an Excel rim I believe that you have to use Excel spokes. Pro Wheel rims are designed to work with the OEM spokes, and their spokes can be used with an OEM rim. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the Excel rims that come on the YZ's are different than the aftermarket Excel rims.

When I traded my WR for my YZ I swapped the rear wheels so I could keep my 18". I love the feel of the 18 and I have never had a flat on one (probably around 5000 off road miles). I mostly ride single track in the high desert and the mountians and think the 18" is worth its wieght in gold. If you can afford one, get it. There certainly isnt a down side to the 18.