Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TBone_Boston

Frame guard for '07 YZF450?

9 posts in this topic

I recently read in one of the magazines that there is a vulnerable oil line on the '07 YZF450 and that some manufacturer offers a $50 guard that bolts onto the frame.

Does anyone know about this? I remember the add saying that its a must have because during the mags testing they ruptured the line and started leaking oil.

Is there any truth to this or can I leave the $50 in my Dr.D Exhaust savings account? :applause:

Why take the chance. I to saw the same article and order a guard from 07 YZ450.

Thanks for the link.

BTW - I found one offered by Light Speed (on motosport.com). Can I assume this one is 'bolt on' ready (as I assume the GYTR is)?

I have a 25 coupon for motosport so I'd like to buy it there.

I use a carbon fiber works guard on both of my bikes. I didn't like how the oil line still goes above all of the guards you can buy, so I made another guard out of carbon fiber that protects all the way up to the pipe. The pic is a little blurry because I took it on my phone.

skidplate.jpg?t=1173364240

Bear in mind: That oil line is a pressure balance vent between the crankcase and the oil tank. While it would make a bit of a mess if it were opened, it carries no oil, other than vapors and spill over, and is not terribly critical. If you spend a lot of time plowing through brush, it would be worthwhile to protect it, though.

Actually, I think that there's been far fewer of these vent lines damaged than there have dipsticks broken off by stones and such.