Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Leelandc

Quick Auto Decompresser Question

42 posts in this topic

I have a 2001 YZF 426 and I want to do the auto decompresser mod. I am just wondering if you have to buy the hot cams mod or can you just take the cam off a YZF450...if I found one for parts?

Thats american price though.......I might check with my dealership and see what price they are. I priced the hot cams one and it is $214.99 + tax. Does TT ship to Canada? And is it the exhaust cam that I need?

TT and many other suppliers will ship to Canada. Be sur to have anything you purchased shipped via USPS and not a courier service, you will avoid heafty brokerage fees this way. There are no tarriffs or duties on new or used motorcycle parts. You will probably have to pay taxes and a small handling fee when it comes through customs.

Will do. One last question (sorry about them all!)..i got an 01 426, does it matter what year 450 exhaust cam I get?

I think most people where using the 2003 model cam.

Just remember that the timing marks on the stock 450 cam won't line up in the 426. If you go with Hot Cams its not an issue.

"the timing marks on the stock 450 cam won't line up in the 426"....what does that mean...will it be hard to install?

Also does it have to be a 450 cam, will a 250F cam fit?

Will do. One last question (sorry about them all!)..i got an 01 426, does it matter what year 450 exhaust cam I get?

I recently had the MOD done and it kicks butt......used the OEM 03 YZF 450Cam.

Rainman....did you notice any power increase or anything like that with just the OEM cam installed?

I didn't notice an increase in power. The bike seems to have the same power but it's alot smoother. IMO the power seems more useable and being able to kick it over without going through the TDC drill is worth the money!!!

Rainman:

Wicked. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the cam? And did you install it yourself? If so, any difficulties?

the 450 O.E. cam sprocket has a slightly different pitch than the 426. You will not see it with the chain engaging only 1/4 of the circumference of the sprocket, but wrap the 426 chain all the way around a 450 cam sprocket, and you will see.

That is why Hot Cams has "426 specific" cams.

Using a 450 cam in conjunction with the other 426 sprockets will mean wearing out your cam sprockets and/or chain.

Using a 450 cam in conjunction with the other 426 sprockets will mean wearing out your cam sprockets and/or chain.

If that were true, then someone would have had such an experience sometime within the last 4 years. No one has.