HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
manowar28888

just got a 2001 yz426 some questions plz

4 posts in this topic

just picked up this bike and was wondering if there were any mods i should be looking into right from the start free mods preffered at the moment. the bike is brand new and stock. i tried to search for mods but it got kinda confusing so if you could point me in a direction for some i would appreciate it.

just picked up this bike and was wondering if there were any mods i should be looking into right from the start free mods preffered at the moment. the bike is brand new and stock. i tried to search for mods but it got kinda confusing so if you could point me in a direction for some i would appreciate it.

How did you get a brand new 01?

Go through all the bearings in the wheels, steering head, linkage, dog bone, and shock and grease them well after cleaning them. Set the sag to 100mm for the shock and check the oil height in the forks, change it if you don't know when it was last changed. Change the oil and filter and clean the strainer in the frame down tube. Set the float height to spec (get a factory manual if you didn't get one with the bike.) Find out when the cam timing chain was changed, if at all. Change it if needed. Instructions are in the thread linked above. Check the clutch plates and cable for their condition/adjustment. Adjust the throttle cable and lube all the cables.

Spend a day setting the compression and rebound damping on both forks and shocks then spend time jetting the bike to your location and riding discipline. Do neutral switch removal or wire disconnect, these are free things. With the bike at 100% you can then get used to it and then determine if it has too little power for you. These are great, dependable bikes a with a wide usable power band. Not much more is necessary to have a ball with a 426 or a 400 (or a 450 too.)

Welcome to the Thumper Talk YZ4xxF group, I enjoy my 02 and hope you like the 01 as much.

Bill