What chain lube?

Any time you "lube" an O or X ring chain, you shorten it's life. As said earlier, all you are doing is attracting grit that wears both chain and sprokets. None of the lube actually gets past the O ring and into the chain pin, which is where the wear occurs. Keep the chain clean and dry. After washing, I spray the chain with WD-40, mosly to displace the water and keep it from rusting. It does help keep the O ring soft as well. I have a 98' WR 400 and have only replaced the chain once after a zillion miles, so it works for me.

Ok, while we're at it. If your chain is kinked, stuffed, etc...do you spend the $$ on O-ring chain for WR 400-450? I'm curious as to exactly what the benefits are.

Any time you "lube" an O or X ring chain, you shorten it's life. As said earlier, all you are doing is attracting grit that wears both chain and sprokets. None of the lube actually gets past the O ring and into the chain pin, which is where the wear occurs. Keep the chain clean and dry. After washing, I spray the chain with WD-40, mosly to displace the water and keep it from rusting. It does help keep the O ring soft as well. I have a 98' WR 400 and have only replaced the chain once after a zillion miles, so it works for me.

Hi ncampion,

The attached link is very interesting reading regarding chains and lubes.

All chains need to be cleaned and lubricated regardless of their type...no-ring, o-ring, or x-ring.

When you spray down your chain with WD-40 you are lubricating it. WD-40 contains pertrolem-based oils..thin oils, yes...but lubricant none-the-less.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/

I agree with your comment about preventing o-rings from drying out.

I believe good chain maintenance includes cleaning and lubricating the chain with a good quality lube...I like PTFE and moly after every ride.

-Jay

Thanks everyone. :eek: Looks like everyone has a different opinion on what to do. I think I'll try Bel-ray super clean. :applause: