HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mattymurn

glowing header pipe...xr650r

3 posts in this topic

new to me bike, so I haven't noticed this before.

Yoshimura aftermarket exhaust. Sitting at idle, warming up I noticed the left most header pipe was glowing, right header was not. First guess is overly lean, but I checked the plug and it is nice and tan colored, to me, not indicating lean. Bike does pop a bit after letting off the gas though.

My question, is this normal and what would be a good starting point for correcting.

thanks

Matthew

My first guess would be that the exhaust valve on that side is mis-adjusted allowing some of the power stroke to seep into the exhaust system. Hopefully, it is just mis-adjusted and not burned or bent. I am sure there are other things that might cause this and hopefully someone else will have some ideas.

new to me bike, so I haven't noticed this before.

Yoshimura aftermarket exhaust. Sitting at idle, warming up I noticed the left most header pipe was glowing, right header was not. First guess is overly lean, but I checked the plug and it is nice and tan colored, to me, not indicating lean. Bike does pop a bit after letting off the gas though.

My question, is this normal and what would be a good starting point for correcting.

thanks

Matthew

All 4-stroke headers glow red hot. My '01 YZ426, my '03 WR250, my '05 YZ250 and my BRP. No biggy as long as you've checked your jetting.......as you already have :applause: