06 YZ 450F Suspension Settings (stock)

Anybody out there have any recommendations for sag and clicker settings for a stock 06 YZ450F? I'm determined to ride this thing stock. I weigh 185 lbs w/gear and ride strictly MX. Thanks.

Paul P.

Suspension settings recommended by anyone else are usually not at all useful, because there are too many variables of riding style, speed, soil, track layout, etc.,etc., ad infinitum.

But, start by going about 9 and 9 out on your forks. At the rear, set the HS comp at 2 turns out, the comp at 12 out, and the rebound at 10. Then read this and apply the suggestions:

http://motoman393.thumpertalk.com/tech/suspension.html

Anybody out there have any recommendations for sag and clicker settings for a stock 06 YZ450F? I'm determined to ride this thing stock. I weigh 185 lbs w/gear and ride strictly MX. Thanks.

Paul P.

I use stock clickers and 98mm sag. On other bikes I've had to adjust all the clickers but this bike works great for me

Thanks guys.

not to steal your thread orange, but gray: Ive herd that if you set your HS compression at 0 the back end wont kick out on you on chopped out faces. I've ridden with and without HS compression, and I will admit that on the jump faces, the 0HS feels more stable, but on the small chop on the ground, the 0HS makes the rear kick around more than a PBR bucking bull...what gives? Thanks

I actually have another 06 question. I used the race tech spring rate calc and find the stock fork spring are pretty much ok but the shock is off by quite a bit. Was the rear end sprung to soft for most? I weigh 215 wothout gear and ride moto although at a fairly slow pace( Vet Amatuer). For the most part i have just been learning to ride again as i have only riden the bike about 2 hours, now i want to start dialing it in.

I actually have another 06 question. I used the race tech spring rate calc and find the stock fork spring are pretty much ok but the shock is off by quite a bit. Was the rear end sprung to soft for most? I weigh 215 wothout gear and ride moto although at a fairly slow pace( Vet Amatuer). For the most part i have just been learning to ride again as i have only riden the bike about 2 hours, now i want to start dialing it in.

You're about 30-35lbs over for the stock spring. I would kick the front and back up a spring rate or two. Even though the calculator might say the front is ok, trust me yamaha wouldn't design the front of the bike for a 200lb rider and the rear for a 180lb rider. PS not trying to sound like a :applause: , just trying to make a point.

:applause:

That is actually my point. It makes no sense to have such different recommended spring rates. Is there another tool out there other than the race tech one?

Thanks, believe it or not it said fork springs were ok, shock needed to go one rate stiffer. How about some real world opinions.

Like I said earlier, If you go one higher in the back then I would go one higher in the front. I guess the only way to really know, is by your own feel of the bike, does the front end feel soft, or bottom hard on jumps, then I would go for it. I can't give any real world advise on the yamaha because I lost the weight, but on my old honda I was over, so I jumped up one spring rate, and it made a huge difference. Take it for what it's worth, but if I were you I would make the order today.

Paul P.

100mm

For MX, you'll be a lot happier with sag in the range of 95-97mm. Pull the forks up in the clamps to the first scribed line, too.