HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hawgman94

Xr650l Life Span ?

24 posts in this topic

OK guys, I'm a noob here and I am seriously thinkin' bout gettin' a new '07 xr650l.....Like in the next month or two. First off-road bike me ! I have heard you all say these are "bullet proof", but what I'm looking for is a little more definition.:applause: How many miles on average will this thing go without any motor work? (except valve adjust). Also if anyone has a maintenance routine I would appreciate it very much !!! Thanx in advance !

I think that a 650L will go almost forever as long it doesnt miss oil....Someday its gonna start smoking but will keep going...with enought oil.

How it is ridden and how well you service it. We have heard of bikes with 30K on them and still running fine with no smoke.

I think a check up would be needed at around 50 000km. But as other sais it depend on maintenance and the way it was driven.

OK...I will be more specific. If the bike is serviced according to the service manual and left bone stock. Also riding about 70-80% street. Under those conditions what milage would I expect to do any major work ?? I'm no mechanic so by major I mean anything above adjusting valves.

Welcome to TT hawgman.

I have an 04 L model with 11000 miles on her, no smoke yet. Every time I have checked the valves they have been right on. Change the oil every 1000-1500 miles, filter every other oil change. Clean air filter every oil change. Its uncorked, desmogged and regeared to 14/48 mostly off road miles. I have heard of guys getting 30K miles with no problems. I would not reccomend leaving the bike all stock, they are jetted lean and run hot, I would at least rejet, do daves mods, and desmog (the backfiring, sputtering and popping will eventually get on your nerves, only does it on decelleration)

OK guys, I'm a noob here and I am seriously thinkin' bout gettin' a new '07 xr650l.....Like in the next month or two. First off-road bike me ! I have heard you all say these are "bullet proof", but what I'm looking for is a little more definition.:applause: How many miles on average will this thing go without any motor work? (except valve adjust). Also if anyone has a maintenance routine I would appreciate it very much !!! Thanx in advance !

By rejetting and doing Daves mods the motor will run cooler increasing life of motor.

Case in point from my old honda 's listed in my signature block - all with varying milage and who knows what is correct. 35 years later and still runnning.....

Mine is approaching 10k miles it's a '98. Uncorked, smog junk off for who knows how long. I bought it with 7500 on it without a second thought. The XR motors are just that good. Like others have said, take care of it and it will last you a long time.

i want to thank you all for the good advice. Because this bike is so proven I have also considered a used one to test the waters & see if its for me. I have seen a 2001 for $2800....6000 miles....fairly stock...is this a fair price?? I am in Ohio...bike is in Michigan...used XR's don't fall off trees here. Tell me what you think !

I think that's a fair price. :applause:

You came to the right place for XR advice. This forum and the guys over at Adventure Rider (many of us post in both) are great resources! :applause:

- Erik

My buddies XR400 has been all around the U.S. and all the way to Tiera Del Fuego and back. Over 70K miles and still running strong. Only one new piston, and a replaced failed choke plate.

A friend of mine bought a well abused L that was raced in hare scrambles and in my opinion not taken care of, it finally lost its top end with 37,000 hard miles on it.

thanks everyone for feedback....one last thing though...what is the recomended miles between valve adjustment ??

Why test the waters, go ahead and dive right in! Its deep enough you wont hit the bottom!

Buy the used bike, $2800 is not bad, But this is probably the last year you will be able to buy a new one, if you can find a new one.

My service manual does not give intervals for valve adjustment, however I have checked them every 4000 miles or so. You can usually hear when they would need adjusting.

Why test the waters, go ahead and dive right in! Its deep enough you wont hit the bottom!

Buy the used bike, $2800 is not bad, But this is probably the last year you will be able to buy a new one, if you can find a new one.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------That's what I was afraid of also. Alot of dinosaurs are checkin' out this year....KLR650...Concours,,,etc... for newer advanced and more expensive models. The appeal of this bike is mechanical freindly..low cost..able..and dependable ! However if the bike is discontinued....will the parts availability dry up as well ???

I was at my local dealer the other day and they have a new L on the floor, 5,900.00 .What is up with that! The sales man says he will get it.

I have a 1997 XR650L with 77,000 IT has been a rental bike and has had only oil changes, tires chains (4) sprockts. no smoke runs fine.