Plastics for 96 xr 650L Help Please!!

Hello hoping you guys can help me.

i am searching for stock or afrermarket front and rear red fenders for my 96 xr650L. I just got back into the sport after many years off a duel sport. now the harley is spending more time in the garage.

my last bike was an 86 xl 600 which is very simular to what i have now. i just picked up a red tank and would like to replace the plastics to red as well. I would also like to get rid of that huge rear brake light and go to a smaller aftermarket light. I know that in some cases the fenders are inter changable with other models like the 400r and 600 as an example.

i also understand the 650r is a totaly different bike.

any guidance you give me would be great. For example i was looking at the UFO rear fender with the small light already mounted on for the 650R will this fit the 650L at oll or with minor adjustments. also i was looking at the Acerbis super moto front fender for the 650L could this fit as well what i am looking for is something like will the 400 fender fit the 650. stuff like that. I am sorry if i sound like i may not know to much but back when i had my 600r we just started them up and went riding. Now the guys that i started to ride with are all into after market everything. my one buddy had four sets of plastics for one bike ane three tanks to match thank you for your time . Stay safe

My front, rear, and side panels are UFO. The rear I have is also listed for the 650L. The front you have to drill the mounting holes yourself. Not sure about Acerbis, I hear they are a thicker better grade plastic than UFO. So far I am happy with UFO plastic parts on my bike.

Thats great Bro. you would not happen to have a part number. i was not able to locate what you were refering to with the rear. just keeps popping up for the 650r. aslo the after market rear break loght. how does that light up. is it bright enough.?

I'm about to change my rear fender on an 86' XL600R with Acerbis replacemant fender for a CRF450. I'm having second thoughts though and thinking of using a universal instead. I'm a little worried it won't go well with the XL seat which is fairly bulky compared to the CRF. Any thoughts on what would look best?

I am in the process of tearing doen the bike right now. i have a 96 and want to get rid of all the purple. I am also thinking about either shaving the set down a little of use a lowering link. i only want to go down about 3/4 inches though. I have not decided on the red of black gripper seat yet though. I also want to slim it down a bit. any ideas.

I am in the process of tearing doen the bike right now. i have a 96 and want to get rid of all the purple. I am also thinking about either shaving the set down a little of use a lowering link. i only want to go down about 3/4 inches though. I have not decided on the red of black gripper seat yet though. I also want to slim it down a bit. any ideas.

After speaking with my mechanic today, he suggested I shave my seat down, so I am going with the CRF rear fender from Acerbis and Baja Designs LED tail light, and universal Supermoto front fender.

If I were you I would with go with plastic from Acerbis. I'm pretty sure it's less than OEM plastic.

As to seat shaping, my mechanic knows a guy that will do the shaping. I may just take it to him rather than attempting it myself.

Hope some of that helps.

I also went with red fenders on my 95. I used an Acerbis xr400 front fender and a Maier rear moto style fender for the 650l. The biggest issue that I had was getting the reds to match. Both of these match the Clarke tank that I have very well. I also went with the baja designs rear light and mounted some much smaller directionals.

I shaved the seat on my 86 xl 600 r way back when. it is rather easy. all you do is take off the seat cover stick the foam in the freezer until frozen and take a electric turkey knife and gently shave of the top. while still frozen sand it down to smooth out any bumps and re-attach or put on new cover. easy as pie...

I don't have any pictures of my XL yet. I will post some as soon as I get it back from the shop.

Here are a couple of pics of a 1990 Yamaha TW200 I just sold. It was actually my first bike. The before pictures are below.

After seeing the other SuperMotards on this board, I don't think I'm going to put as much money into this XL as I did the TW. Sorry for the big pics.

IMG_1430resize.JPG

IMG_1431resize.jpg

IMG_0080resize.JPG

IMG_0086resize.jpg

The LED is just plug and go. I went with a white crf rear fender which is off a 2002 I believe. I don't think it really matters what year but you will have to modify and drill it little to make it fit. I chose the Baja Designs tail light because I like the look better than Acerbis. I will post a pic when I get the bike back, hopefully next week. It won't be as pretty as the other SuperMotards but it will be fun I'm sure.