Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
2001YZF426Rider

rear wheel bearing to axle.

9 posts in this topic

Oops, forgot to fix the title, i meant rear wheel bearing rusted to axle.. The chain side bearing on my 01 426 is i am assuming rusted to the bearing.. It was all greased, but the mistake i probably made was washed the bike, and put it away for the winter and it wasnt dried. . I shouldve taken it apart and cleaned it all and dried it.. Now, how can i fix this without cutting the axle?? If the only way around it is cutting the axle then ill go that route, if not then that would be key..

if you have a rubber mallet or a wood block and a hammer try to hit it out, hit the axle not the bearing race or anything (im sure you already knew that though but i was just making sure). it might take some force to get it out so i guess give that a try and report the news.

Try to get some penetrating oil between the inner race and the axle. Let is soak for a while then try to drive the axle out of the bearing like said. The key to penetrating oil is to give it time to work. Good Luck.

Hammer and oil! hopefully the rust hasnt deteriorated the structural integrety of your axle! (that would hurt like hell having an axle snap on a landing!)

Try to get some penetrating oil between the inner race and the axle. Let is soak for a while then try to drive the axle out of the bearing like said. The key to penetrating oil is to give it time to work. Good Luck.

So spray the oil where the axle goes through the bearing??

Ive already tried pounding it out with a pin type thing but it just spreads the swingarm apart..

Ill try the oil tomorrow..

i never thought about the swingarm spreading, yeah spray the oil right where the axle goes through the bearing. you also might want to try pushing your swingarm up against something solid (like a tree) when you pound on it to keep it from spreading apart.

make sure you are protectig the threads on your axle also! it still may be saveable!

Good luck!

Well i tried everything i could do..

Laid bike down on chain side, and blocked the swingarm up, i didnt care about the axle so i was pounding on it with a five pound sledge and still a no go!! Im almost positive it isnt the bearings rusted, im pretty sure its the sleeve between the bearings..

Anyway, i brought it to a guy i know that has a powersports shop and he is going to fix it for me.. As much as i hate bringing it in, i gave up.. I will let you guys know what happened and how he got it out..

i wanna know how you got so much water in there. If it was greased up good i dont think it would have rusted. I know its too late now. :applause: but let us know how it goes..

Dang...a five pound sledge wouldn't break it loose?? With that you'd think it would at least drive the bearing out with it!