Your steel framed 450 will turn!!

This may be old news for some but after trying dozens of settings I finally put a Storm link on my 05 YZF-450. Last time I checked they only offered a complete linkage for the 05 and it was more than I wanted to spend but called and they had just the link. This made my bike turn unbeleivably better. No more mid turn foot stabbing, climbing out of ruts or pushing on flat turns. You will really like your old steel framed 450 if you try one.

Dropping the front end or raising the back accomplish the same thing exactly. It just gets to be a question of how much.

You do loose a little high speed stability by steepening the head angle, but, IMO, the bike gains more turning traction and gives up less stability by this approach than by offsetting the triple clamps for more trail.

But does it give up straight line stability?

I ride 99.9% mx and even with 23mm offset clamps and the forks raised to the line I had no stability problems. I can't comment on anything at extremely high speed as this is where headshake would be a problem.

As grayracer said dropping the front end is the same as raising the rear and I was a little freaked when the link raised the rear almost 1 inch. I was also as shocked when I rode the bike and made a few turns. It was so much better I could not beleive it. I was having such a hard time cornering I almost did not wan't to get up to speed on the staights. I had tried everything, even had the forks raised so high they were touching the bars, revalved and changed springs until I was blue in the face but this was like magic, at least for me.

Even though I have changed the fork valving a bit I think the link would be good for anyone that rides mx.

The link definately helped my 04' turn much easier.

I haven't experienced any loss of stability (at the standard 5mm mark from the fork) I raised the forks recently to the 10mm line, but I haven't been able to ride due to the weather.

It feels like the Stormlink seems to have the most effect on loamy tracks, and helps with flat, hard-packed turns, but not to the degree as on loamy tracks.

I don't know if this makes sense, but the difference seems more pronounced on loamy tracks.

The thing I found in using 22.5mm clamps was not that the bike would get into head shake in the classic speed wobble kind of thing on a smooth surface. In fact, it was quite stable under those circumstances. The problem showed up whenever the front wheel struck anything off center of the front tire, or dragged in a sand rut, etc. Hitting a solid edge at an angle would violently flip the wheel toward the side of the tire that was struck, flipping it back at least as hard on the subsequent landing, and set up some really ugly tank slappers. Sand would pull it off line left or right so that it was harder to steer there as well.

The thing I found in using 22.5mm clamps was not that the bike would get into head shake in the classic speed wobble kind of thing on a smooth surface. In fact, it was quite stable under those circumstances. The problem showed up whenever the front wheel struck anything off center of the front tire, or dragged in a sand rut, etc. Hitting a solid edge at an angle would violently flip the wheel toward the side of the tire that was struck, flipping it back at least as hard on the subsequent landing, and set up some really ugly tank slappers. Sand would pull it off line left or right so that it was harder to steer there as well.

Gray, I have felt the same thing but always thought the clamps were flexing. Have you put your stock clamps back on? I was thinking about going back stock to get rid of this feeling but it is working so well I almost just wan't to deal with it. I have 23mm offset and it is more of a twisting sensation. Do you think the stock clamps would still turn well with the Storm link?

Interesting post. I think I'm going to save my money and get a Storm link instead of clamps and bars.

When you guys are talking about moving the forks 5mm, which line is that? I have mine at the 2nd line. My forks are sticking above the top clamp a little bit. When I put the link on, should I keep them there?

I've been running the Stormlink with the forks at the first line (line closest to the fork cap, 5mm). The bike definately turns better than with the stock link. I recently switched the fork tubes up to the second line (10mm), but I haven't ridden yet at this setting. If I get any headshake, I'll set the fork tube height to between the two lines, and go from there.

The 5mm height has never given even the slightest hint of headshake, but i still want to try and improve the turning....so hence the 10mm setting.

Yup, back to stock and sold the clamps. Much happier with it.

Clamps flexing? No way.

Selling the bike, got an 06 yz250, much happier with it :applause: LoL Nah j/k My 04 yz450f rails high speed corners but other than that theres not much to do. Anyone want an 04 ?

Yup, back to stock and sold the clamps. Much happier with it.

Clamps flexing? No way.

Come on grayracer, let me think for just one minute that I can still ride hard enough to flex some aftermarket clamps even though we all know the

200 pounds I load on the bike has nothing to do with it.

Man you always gotta be bringin a brother down.

Interesting info, and I just ordered the Storm lowering link for my 04 450f due to my massive 5'4" height, or lack of...anyway, I haven't even ridden it yet. in PA its still snowblowing time, but its too tall for me. anyone here have any info on this set up? I was also going to lower my front by raising the front tubes??? Just thought I'd ask here.