HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jams229

Space above Skid Plate on '07 WR450?

7 posts in this topic

I am noticing that in a lot of pictures of this bike, there is a triangular section

above the skid plate that fills in this gap between the frame and the plate. On my bike, however, there is no such section... !?

Is this piece missing?

Is it a stock piece, or do I need to buy it?

(Where can I buy it?)

Without this piece, the bottom of my skid plate fills up quickly with mud, rocks

and everything else. It seems as though Yamaha would not leave this

section out for any reason.

Thanks!

I hav'nt seen the gap filled on any bikes. Think it's open like that on all of them. What a mud bucket! I drilled five 1.5 inch holes in the bottom of mine to let mud out. Seems to have worked well so far, till a big A$$ rock hits the wrong spot!

I am noticing that in a lot of pictures of this bike, there is a triangular section

above the skid plate that fills in this gap between the frame and the plate. On my bike, however, there is no such section... !?

Is this piece missing?

Is it a stock piece, or do I need to buy it?

(Where can I buy it?)

Without this piece, the bottom of my skid plate fills up quickly with mud, rocks

and everything else. It seems as though Yamaha would not leave this

section out for any reason.

Thanks!

The after-market skidplate by Utah Cycle (that I have on my bike) fills in that gap. You have probably been looking at pics of bikes with after markrt skid plates.

I went to Yamaha 's website and realized that it is the WR250 that has this piece that fills the triangular void. Curious why the 450 does not have it.

I filled the gap in mine with some foam. Works fine for now in keeping

the dirt and mud out, but this plastic skid plate will definitely not last very long...

I went to Yamaha 's website and realized that it is the WR250 that has this piece that fills the triangular void. Curious why the 450 does not have it.

I filled the gap in mine with some foam. Works fine for now in keeping

the dirt and mud out, but this plastic skid plate will definitely not last very long...

The 250 has it because it has an external oil tank and that is the top of it with a mouning bolt filling that space. I also filled the spot with foam and it works great.

Hello,

i'have also the problem all thedirt was in to the skid plate , i solved as followed , i placed a alu grill on the skid plate , look at the pictures , it works great and no problem for the engine cooling,

Grtz

photo0258da3.jpg

photo0259jp7.jpg