250 vs. 450...the final word!

This seems to be an all too common topic with the newbies, much like the infamous red/glowing header. In an attempt to address it once and for all (rather than once a week), I'll try to compile the pros and cons of each, keeping in mind all the model years. If I miss something, which I'm sure I will, please add some constructive input. I'm going to include it in the FAQ, so do me a favor and try to limit the smart-ass comments :applause:...

250 Pros

• Lighter than 450
  • More nimble for the tight stuff
  • Better for the beginner
  • Better for the smaller crowd, under 5'9" and 165 lbs.
  • Plenty of power for 85% of the terrain

250 Cons

• Sprung lighter and may require more aggressive suspension mods
  • Easy to outgrow
  • May require more regular maintenance (valves, oil, etc.)
  • Engine life may be shorter
  • NOT a dune machine unless you're a lightweight

450 Pros

• All the power you'll ever need
  • Wait to do the mods until you learn the bike
  • Chuggability
  • Perfect for the Clydesdale set
  • Bulletproof valvetrain
  • Great for the wide open spaces, i.e. desert, etc.
  • Perfect for the dunes

450 Cons

• Tall stance
  • Wheelspin if you have throttle control issues
  • Can be a handful if you're not careful
  • Can eat up knobbies in a hurry
  • Can be thought of as top heavy
  • May be hard to handle in the tight stuff

Okay boys and girls, let'er rip...SC

But can't you just tell me which one to get?:cry::applause::lol::applause:

But can't you just tell me which one to get?:cry::applause::lol::applause:

Yes I can, but first you'll have to Paypal me $500 for the answer...SC

C'MON DUDE Why would I pay you $500 when I can just read the Stickies?

Can I convert my 450 to a 250? Are the motors interchangable? I find occasionally my 450 is very heavey at the end of a long ride. Could I use a 250 motor towards the end of a day?:applause:

What is each bikes top speed? Will the 250 out jump the 450 because it is lighter or will the 450 out jump the 250 because it has more power? My riding style is sometimes beginner but can be advanced and I like to ride wide open desert and tight woods, which bike should I get? If I bore out my 250 and put in a hot cam will it make my 250 as fast as a 450? What pipe should I get...Gray wire...Throttle stop...Glowing Header...:applause: :applause:

What is each bikes top speed? Will the 250 out jump the 450 because it is lighter or will the 450 out jump the 250 because it has more power? My riding style is sometimes beginner but can be advanced and I like to ride wide open desert and tight woods, which bike should I get? If I bore out my 250 and put in a hot cam will it make my 250 as fast as a 450? What pipe should I get...Gray wire...Throttle stop...Glowing Header...:applause: :applause:

Nice one! I recommend the Sewer pipe.

...on the more serious side...

If you are going to DS, the 250 is a little shorter on top speed so has to rev more on the pavement end of things, where the 450 can be geared up to be fast as the speed of stink

While you elude to the differences in handling by the tight trail comments, my observation between my 426 and my son's 250 is that the 250 turns a whole lot better, due, in no small part to the lighter weight and less rotating mass in the engine.

I've got an '04 WR450 and an '05 WR250 - they both are excellent and I don't know how you could go wrong with either. :excuseme:

I just took the 450 out on a Hare Scramble today - very technical, tight woods and some open areas, good deal of climbing. I think I could have been faster on the 250 just because its about 35 pounds lighter but the 450 is awesome in the open areas and for climbs. I use a gear higher then the 250and that motor just chugs along - it is an awesome motor.

Last year I took the 250 on a grueling (by my standard) enduro and I was glad I did. The weight saving was huge at the end of the day, it had all the power I needed and it feels more nimble in tight stuff.

You can't go wrong with either - buy the 450, the power rocks! :confused:

Some days I wish I went with a 250...

Im 5'8'' and 130lbs soaking wet.

But hell, that 450 has all the ass I ever need.

i rode a 250... didn't like it at all at the track. you have to keep up the rpm's and i like to just be able to blip the throttle and clear everything.

250 Pros

• Better for the beginner
  • Better for the smaller crowd, under 5'9" and 165 lbs.
  • Plenty of power for 85% of the terrain

1.) I wouldn't say the stock 250 is better for the beginner. It has no bottom end, then a real aggressive mid range, then runs out of puff.

My wife preferred the 450 when she learned to ride, lots of grunt to lug around. The stock 250's power style was hard for her to control.

She actually preferred the extra weight of the 450 too, it seemed more stable for her. Handling wise, yes a stock 250 is heaps better than a stock 450.

Way better infact.

2.) The 250 is NOT better for the smaller (shorter) crowd, both bikes are the same size! I had the 250 lowered 55mm and it is still taller than most other 250's.

3.) If all you ride is flat and wide trails. Stock, the bike is gutless! Change the muffler and gain like 5hp. USABLE HP. Much better. Refer to point 1.

The whole 250/450 decision was a balls up in the first place.

450's from the get go were already capable of producing horsepower we hadn't seen since the 500cc two stroke days. And we know what happened to that class. They're already in a state of detune and most people can't use their potential.

All it takes is some porting and a high comp piston and a 250F already matches a 250cc two stroke in acceleration anyway.

Now the whole thing is looking like a complete mess... no one knows what's going to happen.

The easiest thing would have been simply to keep with the 400's as per yammy's original design. Otherwise they should have gone for a lower capacity for the premier class. Such as 350-370cc. (Lets face it.. there's no need for it to be a multiple of 50!).

guilty as charged! (? about red pipe) will read further first before asking ?'s. newbie

Ok, I am a 39 y/o born again rider and chose the 450 as I am 6' 200lbs and growing (beer). I did my research and felt that the 16lbs difference from the rmz 250 and 450 seemed silly but of course how would I really know. Guys on the track say the can feel it when they ride a 450 and I have not ridden a 250 lately.

Where is the 17lbs? cylinder, piston and head? That seems like a lot for those three parts. Some of has to be in the crank and frame? Can somebody weigh a stock 250 full top end compared to a 450?

Here is my rational, try and push me off my feet, and then try to push a lighter guy off his feet, that is solid thinking right for stability and trajectory? The inertia on the heavier bike may keep it more stable, if that's what you want anyway. Of course to change it's direction, will of course take more force.

Good thing about a 450 is I don't need a run up, just crack it and fly and never worry about coming down nose low. (unless i find nuetral of course, and rmz450 don't have nuetrals, that you can find anyway)

I can't wait for the 350's

450 , MORE POWER . muahahaha .

cool topic

:thumbsup: Lets see I'll bet a 250 could be bored and stroked out to at least a 300

that would almost be a perfect bike more power than a 250 yet less weight than a 450.

I thought that lowering the wr would decrease handling but from looking at the general questions it looks like it may do me some good.

I am 5'9" and I have a 450. Do you think lowering would help handling for me?