Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hoellc

How long for top end rebuild

4 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, I am looking at an 04 yz450. I have been told the bike has about 30 or 35 races on it. The guy has not yet rebuilt the motor and I was wondering if that should be a concern. I know there can be all kinds of variables that affect engine longevity but I would like to know what your experiences have been in terms of reliability, with used but well maintained yz's. The price seems great (2500) in fact it's advertised on TT. Any info would be appreciated. By the way, I am just planning on using the bike for trail riding and fun, no racing.

Hey everyone, I am looking at an 04 yz450. I have been told the bike has about 30 or 35 races on it. The guy has not yet rebuilt the motor and I was wondering if that should be a concern. I know there can be all kinds of variables that affect engine longevity but I would like to know what your experiences have been in terms of reliability, with used but well maintained yz's. The price seems great (2500) in fact it's advertised on TT. Any info would be appreciated. By the way, I am just planning on using the bike for trail riding and fun, no racing.

30-35 races sounds kinda alot, i bought my 04, and i know from having raced against it that it has done about 20 supermoto's from new. it had a piston and then the valve checked and shimed not so long ago, but far as i no has never had a full rebuild. the motor feels strong with lots of compression. i plan and getting the top rebuilt with in the next 3 races just to keep her in check. the guy who had never rode it hard, or rev'ed it out fully, i no cause i was whipping him on my 400, even on those engine breakin straights we have. so i was happy to buy mine.

go along to look at the bike, kick it over a few times, and get a feel for the motor. if u have a compression test kit, bring it along, it takes a few seconds to do and will give u a real idea of how the motor is.(am sure someone will no the compression readings on here) and if the owners honest he won't mine.

Number 1 TIP: if you're not happy, don't be afraid to walk away, theres always another.

Number 2 TIP: if it sounds to good of a deal to be true, it usually is

goodluck

thanks for the info, I guess a look won't hurt anything but I am also a bit nervous about the time on it. I like the price but if I have to throw another 7 or 800 buck at it a month after I get it then it wasn't such a great deal anyway.

thanks for the info, I guess a look won't hurt anything but I am also a bit nervous about the time on it. I like the price but if I have to throw another 7 or 800 buck at it a month after I get it then it wasn't such a great deal anyway.

yes, far better to spend a bit more now, than be hit with the cost of a full rebuild a few weeks down the line.