Glowing header pipe!!!!!!

I just bought a 04 yz450f and when i start the bike in about 30 seconds the head pipe is glowing red and it back fires huge flames! the few people i have talked to tell me its the jetting which is the first thing i need to change but I dont believe that just the jetting would make it get that hot that fast. If anyone has anyother ideas please let me know. Im four stroke illiterate.

For the 8 millionth time....it's normal. The combination of cam timing, retarded ignition timing at idle, and thin wall Titanium headers will lead to a red header in about 30-60 seconds. More noticeable in lower light.

Backfiring on decel is caused by:

> An air leak in the exhaust

> A stuck open hot start

> lean idle jetting

If you don't find the first two, try backing the idle fuel screw out a 1/4 turn at a time. If it gets past 2 1/2 turns out, think about bumping the pilot jet up one step.

Woo Hoo.....get out the bratworst and weinies..........another glowing header thread.............:applause:

rocket-cart_sm.jpg

wonder how that thing handle sand woops ??????????????????

cool pix gray

For the 8 millionth time....it's normal.

:applause: :applause: :lol::cry:

Haha that pic is hillarious. That guy is freakin nutball :applause:

Haha that pic is hillarious. That guy is freakin nutball :applause:
It's a TT Classic, originally posted by wrooster.
It's a TT Classic, originally posted by wrooster.

I remember him...........those were the good ole days.....seemed like something new to learn from these 400s/426s almost daily....the fabeled Grey Wire Mod, Taffy Mods and the BK mods....

And who can forget the thread master EGO????

ah the memories.............:applause: :applause: :lol:

Woo Hoo.....get out the bratworst and weinies..........another glowing header thread.............

Let's add some beer and have a good "what oil is the best to use" and "why should I do the auto-decomp mod". That would be a hoot!

Let's add some beer and have a good "what oil is the best to use" and "why should I do the auto-decomp mod". That would be a hoot!

Even better....How do I wheelie my GSXR 1000??? :applause: Shit, wrong forum.:applause:

ooo how bout this one!!!!

the chip on my shoulder makes me a a$$ hole, what do i do???

give the guy a break...

the glowing header freaked us all out the first time...

sounds like a TT party.....:applause:

Last time I flamed a newbie I got an infraction...

Glowing pipe flaming is in good humor standing I guess......:applause:

ooo how bout this one!!!!

the chip on my shoulder makes me a a$$ hole, what do i do???

give the guy a break...

the glowing header freaked us all out the first time...

Well, in reality mine did not. For one I have been around high performance engines most of my life, secondly I had read all about it on this sight. None of this humor was intended to be :applause: or flame the guy, but many need to learn to use the search feature :applause: . Sorry MX58 if you were offended

Me 2 from Gray now hes doing it Mod Power.:applause: Your still the man gray

Me 2 from Gray now hes doing it Mod Power.:applause: Your still the man gray
Who got flamed?

No one told the OP he was an (fill in the blank), or directly ridiculed him. If you disagree, post the quote, please. In fact, I and others gave him a full and accurate answer to his question.

There's a difference between ridiculing someone for asking a question like this, which as was pointed out, we all were at least curious about at one time, and if we weren't it was because we were forewarned, and having a good time with it while in the course of giving a decent explanation. Context is everything.

Even better....How do I wheelie my GSXR 1000??? :applause: Shit, wrong forum.:applause:

njracer, good question. I've got one too, when you find out let me know.;-)

Regarding the initial post: Too-Lean stock low speed jetting (pilot jet) is probably the reason for super-red pipe and popping, etc.

On my old '99 YZ400F, as soon as I increased pilot jet size (and turned fuel screw more open) the popping/backfiring decreased, and the pipe didn't turn red quite so fast. (Stainless steel pipe on that bike though, not Ti)