How do you tune the Edelbrock?

Bought an used Xr650L this fall after my previous ride was totalled in a car accident (not my fault, 2003 640 enduro) and the bike came equipped with an edelbrock carb and got 2 other needle size with it. I read some post and people raise and lower the needle from the twist knob on the top of the carb. They talk about number of click...I did try on mine but I could not feel any click at all. And when you screw in the knob do you raise or lower the needle? Im totally new to these carb and feel like an idiot looking at it. Used to mikuni Cv and round slide carb. Please help me. The bike "jetting" is not right and I must adjust it. Bike is .030" overbore with wiseco hi comp piston, Hot cam, Snorkel removed and twin air filter, stainless header and alum pipe...And I ride at a 0-2000' elevation.

Martin

The knob on top of the carb adjusts the fuel mixture from idle to mid-range. In order to make an adjustment, you must open the throttle all the way and hold it so that the slide is at the top of the travel. Then push down on the knob and turn it until you feel it click into the slot on top of the slide. Turn the knob clockwise to enrich the mixture, counterclockwise to lean it, you will be raising or lowering the needle. The slide has to be removed and the needle changed to enrich or lean the mixture for mid-range and up, lower number needle for lean, higher for rich. Give Edelbrock a call and request an instruction manual. 1-877-888-7504.

Thanks Sbenja, I will install the #17E needle. I found my other needle (15E & 17E) so it should have the #16E in it right now with I have no idea how many clics. I'll take your setup as a starting point. I found myself a pdf version of the manual. Only thing that is still not clear to me is to adjust accelerator pump...But I should figure it out when I will open the carb to change the needle.

Martin

I have a question about needle size. Mines a 630 with HRC kit,starts great runs great up to about 7000 then seems a little lean.If I go richer on the needle adjustment I pickup some more rpm but lose some snap from the bottom. I have a 17e now if I go to an 18 or 19 will I get the top end with out hurting the bottom? Is this just a design problem of having limited adjustments to the carb? I'm very happy with the carb. for my type of rideing I just want it set up the best it can be.

Give Edelbrock a call and request an instruction manual. 1-877-888-7504.
I did ask them thru their web site and still no answer after 3-4 weeks.

Call'em!! They are always eager to help and get you properly adjusted. If not... try Rob (Barnums Pro Products)!

I was always taken care of with a phone call, and they'll also rebuild the carb if needed with new seals and such... ask them about it!!

I had an issue with my Eddy once... and it was due to a leaking pump diaphram. They took it in, did a full service, and wha-la... like new again!

:applause:

Ok some update...Sbenja2003, I did install the exact same setup as yours today.:applause: And the bike now ROCKS! :applause: Not as has much as my dead lc4:cry: but it runs 2 times better than before. And I have adjusted the accelerator pump at 2 turns out from totally closed (base setup on xr600r wih same carb took on edelbrock web site). Thanks alot!

For DaddyK: I did opened and work on my carb today. And I learned a lot! Put up a richer needle (higher #'s) and just lean down # of clicks to have the bottom end spot on as before.

Martin