HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rethy

Honda fork oil is junk!!!!!

13 posts in this topic

Last December I picked up a streeted 06 XR650R with only 1300 street miles on it. With outside temps at 5 degrees I figured I would do some maintenance. Drained the factory fork oil and it came out in lumps of spluge with some black streaks in it. Whale snot I think someone called it. I have bought new KTM's and serviced the forks to find the good fork oil in them. I realize the forks on the XR are outdated but it is no excuse for the glop they put in them. If Honda spent 15 cents for the fluid they used they payed too much! If you have not changed the fluid yet in your bike I would get after it.----------------Rethy

Teflon from the wearband as well as dirt make the oil black/grey. If it came out clumpy you got other issues.

Honda fork oil is fine.

I wonder why some see this and some don't - I just changed mine (re-springing) and the oil was fine.

The oil they use in the pigforks is well known to go south. Did my '01 in Jan and it came out nasty, stringy, ugly.

my XR600R manual says to change it out annually. You guys do otherwise? It also says I can use Honda fork oil, or Dextron tranny fluid. Any thoughts?

The Dextron is a bit thick for the cartridge forks. Well it is for most people. When I re-did my forks the oil came out in clumps as others have described. Those clumps are due to the wear on the forks. It's the ground up bushings. I used Destron to flush out the crud. After the fluid came out clean, I just filled to the max level with the Dextron. I was going to change it out after a few rides, but I liked the increased damping and I left it in there.

Does anyone have a link or something to a good "how to" on changing the fluid??

Any info would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73718

I had a real good link from the other day, cant find it. I was gonna suggest try SEARCH, but, you've been in here longer than I have;)

Just read through that whole thread if you read it, there are mistakes in the original procedure.

I found the manual adequate, but having those pictures helped.

I have not yet had the pleasure of changing out my fork oil yet, just been doing research. I couldn't tell you if there are any discrepancies, but, actual photos help a ton. I'm still looking for the great link that I found on Friday...it was in here I think...

Just read through that whole thread if you read it, there are mistakes in the original procedure.

I found the manual adequate, but having those pictures helped.

Thanks that helps a bunch. I have always changed fork oil on my Yamahas, just didn't know if there was going to be anything different on conventional forks. Seems just about the same :applause:

hey guys the fluid I drained out of mine looked like whale snot also :lol: I put back in honda 10w fork oil and works freekin sweet :applause: And the process is really easy, if you change your own motor oil you can change fork fluid :applause: