HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
drzoomn

650R: anything to do for hot cams w/o decompressor cam?

5 posts in this topic

quick question, i'm putting on the hot cam stage 1 and it looks like it just doesn't have the ability to hold the decompressor cam. right? i was just wondering if i need to do anything with the little thingy it pushes on? or just leave it alone?

thx

droo

I've seen this question asked before and I have a HotCam stage one. You can definitely make it work with the decomp lever. Try searching?

well it look like the decomp lever will still work, since that just pushed on the rocker arm. but what does the decomp cam on the camshaft even do?

the bar lever will stay the same. The auto decomp will not go on the new cam.

On the 400's and 600/650L's you will need to remove the oil "thingy" , but the 650R has a retainer clip holding it in and it can stay where it is at.

As far as what the decomp on the stock cam "really does"---just kick it over once with the new cam, and you will know the answer.

XR650R has a lever decompressor and an auto-decompressor. The auto-decompressor is the mechanical contraption between the lobes and the timing gear flange on the stock cam. You don't need it on the aftermarket cam. Just the flange so you can mount the timing gear.