HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
weston24s

2003 yzf 450 hot start??????

15 posts in this topic

just bought a 03 yzf 450 this weekend and the guy i got it off had taken the hot start off cause it messed up and it was nounted under the tank i think and then got stuck in the carb.........my question is what all do i need to get to put it on the handlebars?????what cable??????? please help

i have nothing on the bike im wanting to know what is needed to put the lever on the bars?i have no lever or nothing????????

how does it attach to the carb????

cause its all missing??????????

So there is nothing on the carb for the hot start??? The plunger or something should be in there, or to much air would be getting in. Everything you would need is in the link I posted. Get everything except the clutch assembly.

Are you asking how to istall it...or do you have something already on your bike...I dont understand what your asking..I have the same bike with a Dr.D hotstart.

You will need these: for adding a Hotstart lever on your handlebars with all the other parts if you have no hotstart -

A DRD HotStart lever or just buy the Hotstart Kit complete - it has everything assembled and ready to install.

http://www.dubachracing.com/DubachRacing.html

OR

The individual OEM parts:

a Hot start cable assembly - see part number from above

parts 36-41 from Here:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx

36 5TA-14371-00-00 .PLUNGER, STARTER 1

37 5TA-14335-00-00 .SPRING, PLUNGER 1

38 5TA-14991-00-00 .SCREW 1

39 5TA-14374-00-00 .CAP, PLUNGER 1

40 5TA-14155-00-00 .GUIDE, CABLE 1

41 5TA-14997-00-00 .SEAL 1

I suggest you buy a ZipTy Racing Hotstart Screw instead of #38 as it is metal and will keep all moisture out forever vs plastic oem cheap

http://www.ziptyracing.com

Also, on the list of OEM parts, you would need:

1) 5TA-26334-00-00 cable

1) 5XD-82946-00-00 HOLDER, STARTER LEVER

1) 5TA-83941-00-00 LEVER, STARTER

1) 95607-05100-00 .NUT

1) 90149-05162-00 SCREW

1) 5TA-26339-00-00 BOOT

(Lever assembly and cable.)

You can use after market levers, such as the Dr.D , or use a clutch perch like the ASV or Works Connection with a hot start lever built in, but you'd need the cable anyway, unless you bought a complete after market kit. I'm not certain that such kits exist for the 450's, which came with a handlebarf mounted hot start from the factory.

The plunger will almost certainly be in your carb, along with the return spring, and at least part of the cap. Otherwise, there would be a full time air leak in the cicuit.

GreyRacer is right - you need to see what is in the carb plunger hole

To be safe just get the DRD HotStart Kit - it has everything you need

Hey, Dave,

I just had a though about this that sent a shiver down my spine. Can you think of a reason why the lever and cable might be removed? I can. :applause:

Hey, Dave,

I just had a though about this that sent a shiver down my spine. Can you think of a reason why the lever and cable might be removed? I can. :applause:

ebay or pieced together....?

runs fine without but id rather have it and yeah it was stuck had to drill it out tap it put a bolt in it heat it up and pull it out