HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
2WheelTad

650R or L.......Maybe BMW 1200GS???

7 posts in this topic

I'm planning on buying a bike to ride about 70% road and 30% Baja type trails. I'm a Honda man by blood! My wife would really like to come on some cross country rides. (maybe 2-3 times a year) Two up for long distance does not sound like fun on a XR. Maybe a (I hate to say it) BMW 1200GS dual??? Or if I do the XR should I be looking at the R model or the L??? Planning on lots of miles on the bike!! Thanks guys...

KTM 950 (older and carbureted) or 990 Adventure (new with ABS and fuel injection)...that would be my choice for a long trip. It is a dirt bike that goes well over any terrain. The Beemer, is a street bike, that can go on gravel. Plus, it is wide and VERY heavy. Just a thought. check out advrider. com, they have miles of posts regarding the topic.

KTM 950 (older and carbureted) or 990 Adventure (new with ABS and fuel injection)...that would be my choice for a long trip. It is a dirt bike that goes well over any terrain. The Beemer, is a street bike, that can go on gravel. Plus, it is wide and VERY heavy. Just a thought. check out advrider. com, they have miles of posts regarding the topic.

Thanks! Some of the BMW riders at advrider.com had some really good input!

If you go Honda , your wife will not like the R since it is designed for a single rider. The L is set up (sorta) for riding two up and would most likely be the better choice in your case. The 650L is a little heavy and can be a handfull on nasty trails, but with minimal suspension fiddling and a fork brace can be made to do fairly well.

I just test rode a friends bmw 1200gs all I can say is it is a very nice machine.If you're going 2 up and not going to get into anything real nasty in the dirt you and your wife would love it.The single I can't imagine would be to comfortable on a long trip.Ah what the hell buy 'em both she'll understand:thumbsup:

The 650r is not a great bike for two up. I bought the buddy pegs a few years back and do ride with my wife a bit, but it's far from comfortable.