HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
twenty34

FMF POWER BOMB HEADER - Will This Work W/ A Stock Exhaust?

13 posts in this topic

i was on the phone with fmf last week and he said that their slip-ons work with the stock headers but their headers DON"T work with the stock muffler. that doesn't really make sense. does it???

Check out my thread on 4th or 5th page (06/07 megabomb difference)My megabomb was an 1/8 inch smaller than the stock muffler connection.

I just bought a FMF Powerbomb header for my 2006 450F. Even though it says in the book 2003-2006 YZ450F I had my doubts about it fitting the new bike. I tried installing it last night and it barely fits and hits against the water lines coming out of the water pump. I mean, it's pushing right up against the water line. Obviously this is a no go, I'm returning the pipe tomorrow and I guess I'll be putting on a Megabomb instead.

I was hoping the powerbomb would work since it seems more durable. I've heard of Megabombs getting dented from roost and one that got crushed in a low speed crash. I'm running a FMF Q2 slip on and was hoping to get more snap on the bottom using the Powerbomb.

There would be no reason to think that an '03-5 header would fit an '06. The cylinder slope angle is quite different on the two engines.

There would be no reason to think that an '03-5 header would fit an '06. The cylinder slope angle is quite different on the two engines.

I have a powerbomb header on my '06 and it fits just fine.

The header for and '03-'05 is the same 5TA-14611-00-00 for all three years.

The header for the '06 is different (2S2-14611-00-00), which is because of the changes to the engine layout. The '07 is different again (2S2-14611-20-00), but that has to do with an exhaust redesign using a different muffler and a stepped header. I'm certain they make one that fits, but I remain highly skeptical that they are the same part as the older one.

I just installed a Megabomb on my '06 YZ450F and it was listed as fitting 03-06. It fits fine although it is connected to a FMF Ti Powercore exhaust. The Megabomb really helped the low end on which was my only complaint about the bike. It made a much bigger improvement than the exhaust did.