HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Atrovent

Advice on a used XR600

8 posts in this topic

I'm looking at a '95 XR600 for cheap (less then a grand). The catch is that it's using a small amount of oil, and in 4th gear the bike grinds and jerks. All the other gears are smooth. Otherwise in good shape. Thoughts on what could be wrong and how much it might cost? Thanks for you help. :censored:

You're looking ar another 4 or 5 hundred for an ebay transmission, a weisco piston & rings, and a gasket kit. More if any bearings, cam chain tensioner, ect....

As Creeky says there could be other collateral damage. The main factor is -- are you willing to do the work yourself, or would you be having a mechanic doing the work. If it's a mechanic I'd guess that you are looking at at least $1000 if not $1500 or more to fix the engine. It would be a lot less if you can do the work.

Just guessing it sounds like it needs 4th gear. There are likely other transmission issues like 3rd gear and possibly a shift fork or two. If it's using oil it may need rings. It may need a new piston and bore. It would be good to have the head looked at and a valve job done if needed. It could also use a new cam chain and tensioner.

The parts have value. If you get the bike and it needs too many things fixed, just strip it and sell the parts on ebay. I bet that the pieces will get more than $1000 on ebay.

I know a guy in so.Cal who is very reasonable and has tons of experience with XR's. To install rings, gaskets and mill the head (if it needed it) was about 200 bucks.

For a complete engine rebuild (labor, machine work and parts) your looking at about 800-1200 depending on how many new parts are needed

give him a call he really knows his stuff

909-825-7064

canyon racers

www.canyonracers.com

Thanks for the heads up about that shop. I had thought about using Norm's Cycles in San Bernardino. They did some work on my street bikes. Anyone have luck with them?

I know a guy in so.Cal who is very reasonable and has tons of experience with XR's. To install rings, gaskets and mill the head (if it needed it) was about 200 bucks.

For a complete engine rebuild (labor, machine work and parts) your looking at about 800-1200 depending on how many new parts are needed

give him a call he really knows his stuff

909-825-7064

canyon racers

www.canyonracers.com

FOr a complete rebuild that sounds really cheap, parts alone would be that if you need cam, chain, valves, springs, conrod, bearings, tranny, clutch, puiston, gaskets, oil pump, etc.

Personally I got a 97 xr600 because I wanted to learn to wrench myself. seamed easier that my 78 yamaha twin. I'm looking at doing a ring/valve job comming up here this spring