Trail Tech Vapor Wiring Question

Guys or gals, I am installing a Vapor on my wife's yz250f 06 and have all the sensors installed. The only thing I lack is wiring to the power wires for juice. Would like to know if you have done this mod, where you ran your power wires and connected into the hot and ground. My thoughts are the yz250f and yz450f wiring are probably the same? My concern is the small size of all the wires, but particularly the power wire and specifically I want to install the connection in an area that will not be too hot, have anything pull or disconnect the wire. Did your connection on the hot and ground wires hold up ok in the location you used. I am trying to use a location that will not fail and if others have a location that has shown to be successful I will try that first. I know this is not the yz250f home, but I am not getting any help over there and I would like to wire it up this afternoon. Any help would be very appreciated!

I was going to buy one until I saw that it had to have a power connection. So I didn't order it. Does it not say in the directions where to hook it up to? They are marketing it to fit a YZ450/250f so I would assume that it hooks up somewhere. Sorry this didn't help you, but I am curious about this myself.

Guys or gals, I am installing a Vapor on my wife's yz250f 06 and have all the sensors installed. The only thing I lack is wiring to the power wires for juice. Would like to know if you have done this mod, where you ran your power wires and connected into the hot and ground. My thoughts are the yz250f and yz450f wiring are probably the same? My concern is the small size of all the wires, but particularly the power wire and specifically I want to install the connection in an area that will not be too hot, have anything pull or disconnect the wire. Did your connection on the hot and ground wires hold up ok in the location you used. I am trying to use a location that will not fail and if others have a location that has shown to be successful I will try that first. I know this is not the yz250f home, but I am not getting any help over there and I would like to wire it up this afternoon. Any help would be very appreciated!

The Vapor works on AC or DC and draws a miniscule amount of current (and is only used for backlighting the dash/siplay - the unit will work fine if you don't hook up the power). If you have your manual with you, go to the electrical section and follow the output wire from the stator - probably goes to the CDI unit. Tap into that wire at a convenient place. Also the unit has a ridiculously large voltage range over which it will work, so you don't have to worry about frying it with over-voltage.

SXP thanks, I'll go that route.

I'd leave the power wires off, running the Vapor off my '06 YZ450's ignition made the bike hard to start, actually almost impossible to get running. Disconnected Vapor and it was back to starting first kick. Yamaha mags just don't put out enough amperage to power anything extra, even something that pulls very little power like the Vapor.

Also make sure you have the Vapor insulated against vibration, they'll reset if they get too much high frequency vibration. Mine would reset everytime I hit the rev limiter until I mounted it with thick foam double sided tape.

Motobark,

The power connection can only be made on the YZ off from green/black from the stator to avoid the problem you mention. Here is a picture:

2003-2007-YZ.jpg

The reset problem you mention is the coil cell hitting a natural freq. If you connect the power to green/black like mentioned above, it will stop the reset problem and you will get a bright backlight.

Send me an email if you want more pictures.

Geoff@trailtech.net

how do i connect the power wires to the green and black wires? should i strip them and rap them around the metal connector?

nm i got it. I stripped them and rapped them around the metal connector.

a couple of quick questions now that my indicator lights are working.

what should i set my temperature and rpm warning and danger lights at?