Steering Stabilizer -- Street bike to dirt bike??

Hello all.

I have a 2002 YZ426 and I also have access to a free stabilizer that come off an '05 Aprillia Tuono (that I wrecked) and I am wondering if anyone has ever managed to place a stabilizer from a street bike on a dirt bike?

Would it even be worth it? Would the valving be adequate for off-road use? I am not a tracky, but hit everything else sand and dirt.

Any ideas on this one? Obviously I am trying to investigate this only because the price is right...unless I have to spend countless hours and hundreds of dollars getting it to mount to my YZ.

Thanks

I know the Scotts dampers are different from street to dirt. I think it may be that the street units damp back to center while the dirt units only damp away from center. I think the other brands also damp back to center, though, so what this all means, I do not know. I could also be completely wrong. :censored:

Hello all.

I have a 2002 YZ426 and I also have access to a free stabilizer that come off an '05 Aprillia Tuono (that I wrecked) and I am wondering if anyone has ever managed to place a stabilizer from a street bike on a dirt bike?

Would it even be worth it? Would the valving be adequate for off-road use? I am not a tracky, but hit everything else sand and dirt.

Any ideas on this one? Obviously I am trying to investigate this only because the price is right...unless I have to spend countless hours and hundreds of dollars getting it to mount to my YZ.

Thanks

You do not want to use a street damper for the dirt, unless it's a Scotts unit. Dampers have whats called a "sweep" this is the amount of dampened travel in the handelbars when moved left or right. Dirt bikes only need dampening in a narrow sweep (basically the dampening works only when the bars are near the center). Road bikes have a wide dampened sweep. My KX500 Scotts dampener's sweep can be adjusted to either dirt style, or road style sweep. Heres a pic of my Scotts on my KX500 (it's the "weld on" version):

nitro026bm8.th.jpg

Thanks for the info...I better understand the differences now and will search for a Scotts or GPR stabilizer built for dirt.

Thanks