HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
frog13

Purchase decision(s)---need INFO--help!

11 posts in this topic

Well purchase time is drawing near and I'm down to two:

Honda xr650L OR Kawasaki klx250.

I know,what a big difference in bikes.Well the reason for this is the others just didn't reach out and "grab" me.You know the "feeling"!.

Will be used as a commute back and forth to work--50 miles round trip and as a weekend play bike with my novice son on his steed.

Main criteria, must be dependable.I'm not much of a mechanic,I'm hearing that these bikes run "hot" if true how do you correct this?---THANKS.

Is your commute on high speed roads? If so go for the 650. If you ever plan on going on a freeway get the 650 for sure. If it's more of a back road commute the 250 will do it.

The 650 is very capable off road. However it is big and heavy. It takes more skill than a smaller lighter bike. The KLX will do fine off road and will be easier to handle.

The 650 will basically last several tens of thousands of miles if it is taken care of. I have no experience with the KLX, but I would expect it to last pretty long, but not as long as the 650.

As far as the heat goes, yes the 650 does run hot. Oil coolers are a nice addition, but unless you are using the bike in a severe condition it is not needed. Severe being things like dune riding, or extremely steep mountain trails at 100 degrees+. Just change the oil often.

Get the 650. The bike is indestructible if you change the oil and keep the air filter clean. It gets 50 mpg and cruises at 70 mph with ease. A 250 will not be as comfortable at highway speeds. You can lower the heat some by adding a free flowing muffler and rejetting which is a couple of hours project. This will also give it a lot more snap.:censored:

Hey Fourstoked---and the rest of you d/s-"ers".

Thanks for the reply,helps put decision even deeper in concrete.

Does the "L" vibrate much @ 60-70 mph---In the past i've rode 1966--1985 H.D. Glide(s)-sportsters and honda 1980's XL's?

Once you get the "L" broke-in does the gas mileage stay around 50ish---that's of course on the understanding that one isn't doing mach-1 and alot of off road antics.I know,this is dependant on alot of varibles,but I live in Cincy--Oh.,not alot of heat but there is humidity---------thanks again!.

Agree with the others, the 650L is a great commuter and will serve your pupose well. I personally prefer to DS an XR600R or 650R because you can have it both ways, good on the road, great in the dirt.

Originally posted by frog13

Hey Fourstoked---and the rest of you d/s-"ers".

Thanks for the reply,helps put decision even deeper in concrete.

Does the "L" vibrate much @ 60-70 mph---In the past i've rode 1966--1985 H.D. Glide(s)-sportsters and honda 1980's XL's?

There is some vibration but it is not that bad. I have ridden 100 miles at a time on the road between rest and gas stops with no problem. I use Progrip gel grips also which makes it real good. Your tire choice makes a big difference. With the Bridgestones Trailwings the ride is quiet and smooth. They are not that good off road. I currently run Maxxis IT's with one rim lock per wheel. This is a little noisier and not as smooth but still good up to around 60-65 mph. No, they are not DOT approved so I am probably going to get some Dunlops 606's or some Perelli's after these wear out to keep the Po-Po happy, but they work real good off road.:applause: As far as gas mileage my bike still gets around 50 mpg with over 10,000 miles on it.:applause: And that is uncorked, desmogged, and the Baja designs jetting. I run 15/45 gearing on the road and 14/45 gearing off road.:lol:

Here's another vote for the 650L. I used to ride one round trip of 1,000 mi. on weekends (from Boise, ID to Spokane, WA). Found the L to be a great street bike. If your work trip is 50 mi. I think you'll find the 250 to be a pain.

if you're going to do a lot of street you should consider a bigger displacement bike,the 250 is capable but you'll be stressing it a little bit .go for a 650 either a kawi or honda .keep in mind that the xr is more dirt oriented than the klx tough it'll cruise easly 50-70.good luck