oil change-XR600R HELP!

I just changed the oil in my 2000 XR600R. It has a metal reusable oil fliter. I used 2 L of 4 stroke oil. The dipstick up on the neck reads almost to the full mark. I have nothing on the inspection hole down on the botttom right side of the crankcase, just inside the rear brake lever. It (The oil level) is supposed to be at the bottom part of the threads. Manual says I have a problem if this oil level can't be seen. Before I rip into this bike, which was running just fine 15 minutes ago, what did I screw up? I drained the oil from the bottom left side drain hole, and from the downtube up near the aft part of the front fender. Book calls for 2 liters, which I put in. hmmmm

I am by no means an expert, but I was just reading my owners manual last night on oil changes. What my book says (for a 1993 XR600R) is that the oil pump regulates how much oil is kept in the crankcase. Since you just drained the sump, I would think you need to run the engine for a few minutes so that the oil pump can fill the crankcase to the proper level. If you have not already done so, please consult your owners manual before you follow my advise. I don't want you to burn up your engine on my account.

If your manual reads like mine though-this should be the proper way.

The engine has a dry sump, you will have to run the engine a couple of minutes to get the fresh oil distributed through the engine. When the bike has been sitting for a while, the oil level cannot be accurately checked with the dipstick until the engine has been run for a few minutes.

Thanks, the Clymers is kinda vague, figured I'd ask the fellas first. thanks again, gonna go blow, er, fire it up! Thanks again. JL

Be carefull, make sure that there is no air in the oil pump. The only way to make sure the oil pump is working properly is to unbolt the oil line to the valvehead, use the kickstarter and after about 10 kicks the oil shoud come out. Then it is okay to fire up.

Yes, I did remember to do that, had an old Yamaha that was almost identical. Anywho, I got it to work just fine. Thanks for the help.

the blows keep coming...When I washed it, I forgot that you're not supposed to use Purple Power on these aluminum things. Well, I blasted it on, rinsed it off, and now my cases, heads, exhaust are all tarnished white. &%$#@!? How the HELL do I get rid of that? Never? I sprayed WD40 on it, will see if that helps. DOH!!! At least I got new plugs, oil, brake fluid, etc. Just LOOKS like crap.

the blows keep coming...When I washed it, I forgot that you're not supposed to use Purple Power on these aluminum things. Well, I blasted it on, rinsed it off, and now my cases, heads, exhaust are all tarnished white. &%$#@!? How the HELL do I get rid of that? Never? I sprayed WD40 on it, will see if that helps. DOH!!! At least I got new plugs, oil, brake fluid, etc. Just LOOKS like crap.

don't know what Power Purple costs, but I use Simple Green