HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
650r

gearing a 650r

4 posts in this topic

what are you guys running for gearing and why? is there a better set up then stock? i ride alot of open desert and glamis alot, if that helps. thanks

I use the stock gearing even though I'm looking for 6th gear in the washes.It's good in the rox and tight stuff and those endless whoop section around the Sups and Plaster City.Most of the fast guys use 15/48.

what are you guys running for gearing and why? is there a better set up then stock? i ride alot of open desert and glamis alot, if that helps. thanks

For open desert it's a no brainer to go with 15 / 47. Even with the 15 / 47 you can do slow single track and then be able to open her up on the wide open trails / roads. If you spend more time on the slower trails then maybe the 15 / 48 or 15 / 49 would be a better choice. Not sure on Glamis.

If it is dune riding you are looking at, 14/46 is what you need to be running with a paddle tire and a stock length chain. This allows enough clearance of the paddles from the swingarm especially when going flat out at higher speeds. A 46 rear sprocket is the smallest that can be used as a 45 will leave the chain too loose and there will be no more adjustment at the axle. As it is, 14/46 is a great gear choice for the dunes. A ten paddle is what the XR650R wants and needs to be it's best in the dunes. The 10 paddles simply work better than an 8 paddle with the major torque the XR650R produces. The AMS Sandsnake 120/100 10 paddle is a great tire, :censored:.