HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WOT800

New to TT and to 4-Stroke dirtbikes

4 posts in this topic

I just got a used 2000 YZ426 last week and I can not wait for the spring. I wanted to post and see what I have to do to check out the engine, suspension, and all the other parts of the bike that might be problem areas. I do not know the history of the bike at all and my dirtbikes in the past have been all 2-strokes. I can do alot of work myself, I have turn a wrench or two. I just need some guidence on what to look for. Thanks and I look forward to hearing your posts.

learn the starting procedure..... get a good manual, the maint. is way different than your 2 stroke. not knowing much about the bike I would change all fluids. everything you will need to know about that bike you will find here.

have fun.

welcome to tt

I just got a used 2000 YZ426 last week and I can not wait for the spring. I wanted to post and see what I have to do to check out the engine, suspension, and all the other parts of the bike that might be problem areas. I do not know the history of the bike at all and my dirtbikes in the past have been all 2-strokes. I can do alot of work myself, I have turn a wrench or two. I just need some guidence on what to look for. Thanks and I look forward to hearing your posts.

Welcome. :censored:

This should keep you busy reading about your 426 for hours. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=447989

I'm new to this forum as well and can tell you honestly that all of the people who have given advice have been great and it's been good advice. For that matter they helped me diagnose a starting issue in a few days with my 2001 426. I would second the advice on changing all of the fluids and learning the starting procedure. Ive always been a believer in good quality synthetics in all of my vehicles and it's never let me down. Air filter maintenance is about the same as 2 strokes except there are a lot of better quality products out there from which to chose than there were say 10-15 years ago. Don't neglect the fork oil and make sure it's the right viscosity. (The previous owner of my bike took excellent care of it and he was a good rider) The only thing he suggested I do soon after I purchased it was change the fork oil to a lighter or standard viscosity as he was heavier and preferred a heavier weight oil. I went back to the factory spec and it was much better for me. Enjoy the bike. Mines been great and other than the starting problem which I almost have licked, it's been solid reliable and far more power than anyone ever needs in thier late 40's!