HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
icedfusion

XR600R - UnRideable!

17 posts in this topic

Hi,

I just bought an 1998 XR600R from someone I work with - didn't take it for a ride, it started first time and idled perfectly - so assumed all was ok. I paid the tiny sum of 575 pounds and took it home.

Today, I decided to take it out for a ride after getting it insured etc.

Off a went, then after about a 100 yards though I would give it a twist of the throttle and *cough splutter....stall* started first time and then repeat....I found that to get the bike back home again I could barely give the thing any throttle otherwise it would bog and die.

I didnt have the choke on - generally know how 'they' run as I have an XR650R - but the bogging on this XR600R is unbelivable.

I took the carb off and gave it a good clean (had been sitting in my friends garage for about 4 years), but this hasn't really improved anything.

Anyone any ideas??

Cheers

ice.

Check the air cleaner, and intake for any blockage, and when u cleaned the carb did u take all the jets out and clean them too? did u reset the float level? any cracks in the rubber intake parts?:censored:

This is most probably a fuel delivery problem. Remove the fuel line from the carb, place the hose in a container, turn on the petcock and see if there is a good stream of fuel. If this checks out, put the fuel line back on the carb, turn on the petcock, wait a minute or so , shut off the petcock and remove the drain bolt from the float bowl. If lots of gas comes out, the float bowl is filling OK, if very little fuel, check the float and valve assembly for problems. Next, pull the main and pilot jet and make sure they are not clogged. Sometimes it is difficult to tell if the pilot is clogged, you should be able to see daylight through it. If in doubt, pull a single wire from a wire brush and carefully drag it back and forth through the jet. Keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks for the pointers.

Fuel is flowing ok into the carb - head from one of the bolts that holds the cover to the float bowl snapped off...fekkin thing...so will have to get that out during the week sometime.

It is possible that the pilot could be blocked and i agree it is probably a fueling issue....as I cannot understand why it idles perfectly but just will not accelerate.....

ta.

ice.

Check the clutch cable maybe its holding the clutch open a little bit. Mine did that a while back the bolts werent tight and the clutch cable tightened up just a fraction, everytime I gave it gas it would bog a bit. Also check the gaskets if you have a blown head gasket you will be drawing in cold air which depending on how blown it is can cause major bogging. What about the spark plug is it good? remember the basics Air, Fuel, Spark. If you have all three the engine has to run, it has no choice.

other than that, Id check what others have posted. Just my .02

Also check the exhaust. I bought an old bike once and it would boog bad but idle. Turned out a dirt dobbers had made a couple nests in the pipe cleared it out and everything was fine.

Also check the exhaust. I bought an old bike once and it would boog bad but idle. Turned out a dirt dobbers had made a couple nests in the pipe cleared it out and everything was fine.

Good point! I ran into a similar situation years ago with a lawn mower engine, all but forgot about it.

Good point! I ran into a similar situation years ago with a lawn mower engine, all but forgot about it.

The main jet is blocked.

Your main jet is clogged. Take the carb apart and clean the jets real good. You are starving for fuel and running lean. It will idle but stalls when you twist the throttle, this is because you are letting in air but no gas, thus running lean.

Again,

Thanks for the tips. Tried to take the float cover off to clean the jets but snapped a head off a bolt - will buy some bolt extractors and give jets a clean as suggested.

Many thanks.

ice.

Your main jet is clogged. Take the carb apart and clean the jets real good. You are starving for fuel and running lean. It will idle but stalls when you twist the throttle, this is because you are letting in air but no gas, thus running lean.

fasterfaster is correct. First 1/4 throttle is pilot jet the next 3/4 is main jet. Usually the pilot gets clogged due to fuel left in the bowl. I now drain the bowl as soon as I get back from a ride if the bike is going to be sitting longer that a week.

Water will do this. I had the exact same problem and it was water in the gas tank. If a tiny drop gets to the main jet, the surface tension just locks it in there.

Welcome icedfusion, Hope you get the broke bolt took care of,:censored:

Have you changed the plug, checked the valve lash??

When i first started opening up my bike(XR650R) , before i found the PIG PEN site, drilled 6 - 1/2" holes in my air box blank plate . It was so lean that it would fall on it's face with any opening of the throttle at all. I had to start drilling out main jet ( trial & error ) until i started catching up with fuel. Not very many people around here , ( ohio ) , had one, or had any idea how jammed up these things were. someone could have started giving it air , but not fuel increse. Jets are pricey around here. Look for air increace modifications.

Everybody before me is wrong. I spent a week and a half trying to find this problem with my '98 Xr600.

There is a circuit between the pilot jet and the main (its blocked from view by that round brass plug).

That circuit got varnished over from not riding.

Just proof that not riding is BAD!

I had to take it apart, and soak the whole carb in carb cleaner for 24 hours, and then use compressed air to blow the snot out of it.

My kickstart leg is still not the same after that episode.

I use Stabil just for the heck of it now...

I have worked on two bikes with a problem of stalling as you twist the throttle. It happen two times on tours in Baja. What happened to me is the clip that holds the needle on the slide came off. The bike would start and idle but as soon as you gave it any gas it would die. Lots of air no more gas.

Good Luck

Mike