HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tammie

Ok what do I do? front brake caliper pistons

6 posts in this topic

Ok Ive got my front brake caliper off, I want to remove the piston, Ive tried and tried with the compressed air and they DO NOT budge one bit.......Im having a hard time getting a seal to get enough air pressure in there, how much air pressure do you need??? ive only got a small compressor but it dials up to 100psi.........i just don't see those things budging, it is a 1999 and im not sure the pistons have ever been removed?? what do you suggest?

Ok Ive got my front brake caliper off, I want to remove the piston, Ive tried and tried with the compressed air and they DO NOT budge one bit.......Im having a hard time getting a seal to get enough air pressure in there, how much air pressure do you need??? ive only got a small compressor but it dials up to 100psi.........i just don't see those things budging, it is a 1999 and im not sure the pistons have ever been removed?? what do you suggest?

Re-connect to the master cylinder, bleed it, then pump the pucks out using the brake fluid. Try to keep them equal (walk them out) by locking one then the other if needed. Don't allow one to pop out with the other one remaining deep in the caliper. And never grab them with pliers or such since you can easily damage them.

The slightest amount of dirt in the wrong area can really cause some big problems so keep everything as clean as possible.

If this doesn't work, you may be able to freeze the pucks using a spray on freeze solution (most electronic stores have this in a can).

But the point here is that hydraulic pressure will produce much better results than pneumatic.

Good luck!

doh ive got teh entire bike apart and thus don't have anything connected id already drained the fluid and and removed the line.......ugh...

DONT get your fingers anywhere near the pucks if using air! It wont be pretty when they do come out. LOL

ok thanx for the advice, im going to try again and try to get a better seal as im blowing the air in ive got a couple ideas maybe use a rubber washer to make a better seal while blowing the air in......

thanx