Wife Bike?

My wife has decided to take up 2-wheeling and I don't know what to get her. She's 5'4" and not all legs so a WR is too tall. You guys have any suggestions? I can't afford to get a bike lowered + she is just starting. She's almost to short for a TTR 230 but way too big for a 125L.

Hi! My Wife is the same size and I'm buying her a brand new TE 510 Husky for Valentines day. Yup, it'll take her a while to get used to the height, but in the meantime I'm gonna break it in for her and so on. Only the best for my ol' lady and I recommend you not scrimp either!

Etch:thumbsup:

My wife has decided to take up 2-wheeling and I don't know what to get her. She's 5'4" and not all legs so a WR is too tall. You guys have any suggestions? I can't afford to get a bike lowered + she is just starting. She's almost to short for a TTR 230 but way too big for a 125L.

I would definitely go for a Yamaha XT 225: not expensive, low seat height, enough power for trails, street legal...

Sergio:thumbsup:

If you're willing to check out other colors, the CRF150 is a little bigger than the TTR125 (which I have for a playbike) and is similarly reliable.

We are not exactly brand loyal. I've looked at the 150 and think it might be a good one. Yamaha seems to always have what I want exactly but not for my wife and sister. Wife is riding a TRX450R and sister has a Rancher 350. Wife doesn't fit on the YFZ and Yamaha really doesn't make a good comparison to the 350 Rancher. I might get her a Honda. Here in a couple of weeks we'll go shopping and see what fits the best.

I would definitely go for a Yamaha XT 225: not expensive, low seat height, enough power for trails, street legal...

Sergio:thumbsup:

I tried that. They have one at the shop she works at but she says it too ugly.? I don't see what it matters.

An XR 200 would be a good one if I can find one.

My wife is 5' 6" and has a 32" inseam and we just bought her a Suzuki DRZ 250. After about a week we had the seat cut down about an inch and narrowed up a bit. We've only had it a couple months and so far it's been great. This is her first dirt bike and we have been out to most of the local hangouts: Prairie City, Mammoth Bar, Sugar Pine. Plenty of torque and reasonably light considering. Looked at some of the other offerings (Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki) and found for the money, it was hard to beat. Not a lot of do da out there though, maybe a handful of aftermarket parts. :ride:

You can make the ttr125l taller with a bbr tripple clamp and some taller springs. Thats what i did and it's perfect for my 5-5 wifie! The crf150 is more than 40lbs heavier! Keep the bike weight in mind if you want things to be easy for her. Button start is a must.

We are not exactly brand loyal.

I'm with you on that one. Brand loyalty is for people that don't like to think for themselves or make decisions. They pick a color and blindly stick with it. Each of my purchases are based solely on what machine will best complete the task I need performed.

Just to throw this out there, the Kawasaki Super Sherpa's (250 dual-sport) are very pleasant beginner's bikes. They're softly suspended but feel very light and are one of the easiest bikes to ride. In fact, that're what a lot of courses use for MSF loaner bikes.

Your wife may appreciate the soft/low seat and electric start while you'll like the dead reliability, dirt-cheap prices, and (semi-) legally wheeling it down the street.

I bought my wife an 02 TTR225 last year and she loves it. We went for a ride today as a matter of fact. The bike only cost $1600! It's heavy but works fine on the trails around here. She is slow no matter what bike she is on! The electric start is a must for anyone. Put a YZ front fender on and the bike looks great now.

Been there, done all of that. My wife is 5-4 also. We started by looking at the ttr230 but it was a little too tall. So I picked up a used ttr225. Low seat height, but may be one of the heaviest bikes ever made. Its really heavy and my wife could not feel comfortable leaning it over.

Traded it for a ttr125le. Nice bike, but just a little too small.

I am now looking to get her a kx100. That bike is "tons" lighter than the ttr125le. Its a little taller and has more power and its so light it makes the ttr125 feel heavy.

The best thing is that it kicks over and starts up easy.

If she doesn't mind the noise, a two stroke might be the way to go, lot lighter, and no lack of power. Although you just have to be careful with not wheelying it too far or any at all, I almoast put myself on my but on the concrete seeing how much power a "little" two stroke 85 has.

If she doesn't mind the noise, a two stroke might be the way to go, lot lighter, and no lack of power. Although you just have to be careful with not wheelying it too far or any at all, I almoast put myself on my but on the concrete seeing how much power a "little" two stroke 85 has.

An 85 fits her perfectly but I really don't want her learning on a 2-stroke. I compared the TTR type bike's last night and the 230's are nearly as heavy as my 450 WR. That worries me plus they are a little too tall. It seems like a damned if you do/damned if you don't situation.

I'll buy a new car before I'll spend that on the bike for me OR her.

My wife is a little shorter than your wife. She's 5'1" and rides a TTR125E (little wheel). I would HIGHLY recommend a KX100 for her. It is a 2 stroke of course but the power band is not like the other smaller 2 strokes. It's got some low end torque also. It doesn't have an abrupt "hit" like the other ones. Plus like was mentioned earlier, they are SO light. I'm going to try to get my wife to ride my son's KX100 to see how she likes it. I have a feeling that she'll stick with the underpowered TTR125.

There are some others who have their wives/daughters/girlfriends on KX100's in the thread linked below.

If you are at all interested in some reading about KX100s, here ya go:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=331934&highlight=Thinking+about+a+kx100

You can make the ttr125l taller with a bbr tripple clamp and some taller springs. Thats what i did and it's perfect for my 5-5 wifie! The crf150 is more than 40lbs heavier! Keep the bike weight in mind if you want things to be easy for her. Button start is a must.

That's what I did and she loves it. She is 5'3" and she wanted a bike that she could not only sit on flat footed, but also an E-start and something she can still pick up when she does a unexpected get off. Her only being 125 lbs the 230 and 250 are way to heavy.

Been there, done all of that. My wife is 5-4 also. We started by looking at the ttr230 but it was a little too tall. So I picked up a used ttr225. Low seat height, but may be one of the heaviest bikes ever made. Its really heavy and my wife could not feel comfortable leaning it over.

Traded it for a ttr125le. Nice bike, but just a little too small.

I am now looking to get her a kx100. That bike is "tons" lighter than the ttr125le. Its a little taller and has more power and its so light it makes the ttr125 feel heavy.

The best thing is that it kicks over and starts up easy.

For my wife we've bought her a new ttr250 and she hated that pig so we bought her a yz 250f which she likes but hard for her in technical section. Then we got her a kx 100, we put heavier springs on both ends and pro taper FMX (tall) bars with the moose bar adapter (must do mods). She loves that bike now. It's super light and she can take it about anywhere and can stand and start her bike without using a rock to stand on or a tree to lean against.