HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yama426rider

oil filter

7 posts in this topic

I'm assuming you mean a stainless steel filter???

I use Carb cleaner to flush from the center out, on my Scott's stainless filter.

If you're trying to clean a paper filter, than forget about it, and throw it away.

Only stainless mesh filters should be cleaned. "Paper" filters must be discarded, and brass mesh are too delicate to put up with being cleaned more than once or twice at best.

and brass mesh are too delicate to put up with being cleaned more than once or twice at best.

I disagree. I've been using the brass filters (and cleaning them) for years with no problems. I change them out once a year, only because the rubber starts to look a little rough.

I disagree. I've been using the brass filters (and cleaning them) for years with no problems.
Absent some actual test data indicating that the maximum passed particle size has not increased over the life of the filter, that's a gratuitous assertion. The brass screen used in the OEM can be opened to double its manufactured size by compressed air alone. That's even more significant since the brass types already only filter to 75-80 microns as it is.

Gray Raccer has this one down. The OEM filters are inexpensive anyway so I keep three in my tool box. I haven't tried an SS or paper filter so no input there.

Bill