Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
steve_cirillo

to xr600 or not to xr600?

11 posts in this topic

So I’ve got the opportunity to buy a 98 xr600. the guy I would be buying it from is a good friend and the bike has always been well maintained. The reason I think I’m going to buy this beautiful lady is because she is STREET LEGAL!!!!!!!!! That would save me a lot of money in gas. Anyways the real question is how is this pig? Reliable, durable, awesomely awesome? Please let me know your experiences thoughts and feelings of this bike…. Thank you very much!!!

I don't see how you could go wrong. The fact that you know the history of the bike is a big plus when buying a bike that old. As long as the price is right, buy it. You won't be disappointed. :ride:

I totally agree. I want a newer 650r, but I wouldn't get ride of my old 96 for the world. She's been the best bike i've ever purchased. Hands down.

i was also thinking of buying a 650 but i will never part with my xr600 if it had a e-start it would be perfect in ever way :ride: :ride:

get the XR600 steve!! you wont regret it! it would make a great DS and desert bike. :ride:

I bought my '98 new in '98. Same motor, same clutch.

You might buy other bikes-but you'll cheat yourself if you dont buy and keep this one in your collection.

somebody told me that these bikes run hot, it there any truth to this? i think the guy was blown' sunshine up my butt.... How does one do that? interesting

somebody told me that these bikes run hot, it there any truth to this? i think the guy was blown' sunshine up my butt.... How does one do that? interesting

The 600 engine can get a little hot when ambient temps are high and you are running the snot out of it, otherwise it is not a problem. If you hear it start pinging, back off. Running a tiny bit rich will help keep it a little cooler, use good quality 92 or 93 octane gas.

The 600 engine can get a little hot when ambient temps are high and you are running the snot out of it, otherwise it is not a problem. If you hear it start pinging, back off. Running a tiny bit rich will help keep it a little cooler, use good quality 92 or 93 octane gas.

Exactly! If Scott Summers can't tear these things up then no one can! :ride: