Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tunaeater

Excel rim

9 posts in this topic

Can I put a stock hub and spokes on an excel rim for a XR650r ? I have a beat up wheel that I want to swap hub and spokes to the excel rim. It will be used for a spare racing wheel. If not, what are my options, approx. prices and best place to purchase. Also, does anyone have any experience with the pro wheels from Rocky Mountain ? I'm very abusive on my rims and they are always getting beat up.:ride: I ride mostly desert and lot's of baja.

Thanks so much,:ride:

Paul

Yes. Go for new heavy duty spokes though. Try eastcoastwheels.com for help with rim and spoke match.

I have been talking with a nearby wheel shopin denver, they mentioned to do both 650R wheels with excel rims, stock hubs and their superlace would run about 680 for both wheels, this sound reasonable? Guessing the stock hubs are fairly durable.

Given that I paid about 250-275 (I forget exactly:excuseme: ) for just the rim and spokes from East Coast Whells, for a rear that I laced myself it sounds good. It may or may not be worth the labor of $180 depending on how handy you are. there are some good on-line descriptions of how to lace if your up to the challenge:thumbsup: OR :ride: .

Given that I paid about 250-275 (I forget exactly:excuseme: ) for just the rim and spokes from East Coast Whells, for a rear that I laced myself it sounds good. It may or may not be worth the labor of $180 depending on how handy you are. there are some good on-line descriptions of how to lace if your up to the challenge:thumbsup: OR :ride: .

Thank you for your reply, I had no idea just the rims were that spendy, but likely worth it, I can't believe how easy I dented the stock front one, I think I tagged a rock, was loading it back on the truck to head home and someone pointed it out to me...woops. I am pretty handy but I have never trued a wheel , I would likely rather leave that sort of thing up to them.

eastcoastwheels.com can give a good sense of what rims alone cost. You gotta figure shipping as well vs. your shop down the street which may have them in stock. The other option is to keep an eye on line for rims.