HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pman13

XR650R Head and Taillights

10 posts in this topic

I've upgrading the lighting on my 2000 XR650R, because I ride it to work (when its not winter) and I can outride the stock headlight in first gear. I bought a Ricky's Stator and I'm about to install it so I now have the power to run a brighter light, but I'm not sure which light to run. I know I can just swap the bulb, but does anyone have pics with different head lights (like acerbis )? What about tail light setups? I'm going to get some LEDs for my license plate so someone might actually see me from behind.

Thanks.

I like these, particularly the Edge 2:

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop?action=category&cat_id=72#2186

Be sure to silicone it and seal it up well. Small, light, bright.

I also fitted an LED 1157 replacement in the stock taillight housing. Can't have too much brakelight on the road. Used epoxy gell to affix the base to a UFO fender (no screwholes). Glued the snot out of the shrinktubed light harness where it perforates the fender too, so it should stay put.

I also run a UFO Kawi/KTM-style headlight because I like the looks, but I don't think they are made anymore. A downside is the light is low which the front fender tube bag kinda interferes with. 55/60W Hi/Lo H4 running off a B-D rewound stator, the regulated AC side. Could run 80 or 100W if the mood struck me, and it just might after riding a cold dark commute the other night.

Do you run that BD headlight on the street? Can you get one of those with a hi-low beam or maybe put a dual-filament bulb in there?

Yes I do run it on the street. I run a single fillament bulb--not sure what's available.

I like these, particularly the Edge 2:

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop?action=category&cat_id=72#2186

Be sure to silicone it and seal it up well. Small, light, bright.

I also fitted an LED 1157 replacement in the stock taillight housing. Can't have too much brakelight on the road. Used epoxy gell to affix the base to a UFO fender (no screwholes). Glued the snot out of the shrinktubed light harness where it perforates the fender too, so it should stay put.

I also run a UFO Kawi/KTM-style headlight because I like the looks, but I don't think they are made anymore. A downside is the light is low which the front fender tube bag kinda interferes with. 55/60W Hi/Lo H4 running off a B-D rewound stator, the regulated AC side. Could run 80 or 100W if the mood struck me, and it just might after riding a cold dark commute the other night.

I've been thinking about that combo taillight setup myself. Can you post a pic of it? Would REALLY like to see one on. Does the Edge 2 need a resister or anything to hook up?

Th

Yes I do run it on the street. I run a single fillament bulb--not sure what's available.

Does it seem to affect or bother other drivers? Any problems with law enforcement? Can you run that light with the stock stator? Sorry for all the questions, just very interested in running something like that myself.

Like HawkGT I also got a Baja Designs LED tail light, brake light, liscense plate holder combo, but for the wife's crf230. Sweet looking, bright unit.

I wished I'd used it on my 650r. 3 years ago I bought a now-discontinued E-Line dual sport kit for my 650r. It looked super slick but the electrics turned out to be pretty much a POS. Had to change out all the switches and the headlight reflector assembly (replaced that with a BD glass lens with an H4 bulb).

I did my own stator rewind on my R and have about 125w available. I'm running a PIAA SuperWhite 60w/60w H4 bulb in the BD glass lens in the front housing of my R. Real happy with the light output.

Whatever you get for the front make sure it uses an H4-type bulb and not some weird bulb type. H4 allows you a lot of flexibility in wattage.

My two cents.

I run a 55w bulb with the stock stator. The beam is adjustable on the fly for "high" and "low", so to speak. The whole reflector housing pivots up/down and cinches with an easy reach knob. With the angle adjusted for street riding I don't think it bothers anyone--same as any other motorcylce headlight.

here's a thread I started a while back when I started thinking about an 8": http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=381154

Rear: I bought 2 9-LED bulds that fit in an 1157 socket. I had a 1157 socket from the old Baja Designs brake light kit. The LED bulbs are not near as bright as a normal light bulb. So, I tore out the socket, and rigged both bulds in the rear lens side-by-side. One buld has both filiments working as a running light, and the other has both filiments as a brake light. This works much better.

Front: I bought a "Stock lighting upgrade kit" from Baja Designs for 40 bucks 3 years ago. It is actually a Honda part #. It consisted of a glass lense for better optics, and a 55 watt PIAA Super White H3 buld. With my re-wound stator, this produces a LOT of light. Very happy with this mod.