Boots: Little too big or too small?

Personally, if your foot is done growing then I'd rather a boot that was a little snug. You do not want "sloshing" in your boot where your foot can move inside the boot. I'd rather get them snug and break them in a bit instead of getting a pair of boots that are a little loose, but remember they are going to break in and might be even more loose. Just a thought to consider. Good luck!!

I disagree. Having your boots too small is bad for your toes. You will not have any big toenails if you do. Hubby did that, trust me its not pretty.

They make insoles you can put in your boots

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Parts_Unlimited_Offroad_2006/default.asp?p=74

and you can wear the thick socks.

My boots are a bit big and the insoles and thicker socks work great.

Does in the insoles effect the inner bootie on a alpinestar boot? I'm now curious about this insole. I'd like to do that, but would in just go on the bottom under the bootie? Thanks!

I would put the insole under the bootie. I had a pair of tech 8's and I think the way the inner bootie is shaped that it would be better and more comfortable to put the insole under the bootie. This way you never have to mess with them. Once they are in they are in.

You'll be sorry if you get some that are on the small side. They may "pack out" a little, but it will be minimal. They won't "break in" enough to be comfortable and you'll be miserable. Not to mention that you can really mess up your feet and toes that way.

On the other hand, David Knight has feet that are like size 13 or something and he crushes his feet into boots that are two sizes too small.:ride: His reasoning is that those two sizes make a huge difference in trying to avoid snagging his feet on stuff. Definitely can not imagine squishing my feet into boots that are that tight. I think it'd make riding a freakin' miserable experience. When I heard him say that, I was floored. That dude is insane.

I would put the insole under the bootie. I had a pair of tech 8's and I think the way the inner bootie is shaped that it would be better and more comfortable to put the insole under the bootie. This way you never have to mess with them. Once they are in they are in.

With the bootie in the tech 8 there are 2 ways to go about it:

- You can remove the existing insolde from inside the bootie and replace it with something a bit more supportive, like the

green superfeet. They will be an improvement over the mostly useless insole that comes with the boots since they have arch support.

You can even get full custom insoles molded to your feet from any local ski store.

- You can leave the existing insole and instead put a pad under the bootie itself. Again, a ski shop would be the easiest way to get one of these pads, but you can always mail order from a place like tognar.com:

bontex insole shims come in different thickness so you can tailor the fit to your liking.

I went the way of the custom insoles since I had several pairs left over from years of skiing. I like the arch support.

Bruno.

My problem is that I'm in the process of getting tech 10's next week. I've tried on size 9's and 10's. On the 9's, the tension bar on the inner bootie rubs my ankles but my toes barely even nip the end of the boots. The 10's are pretty loose. Would ya'll just get size 10's and get insoles?

Well, maybe Tech 10's aren't the right boot for you? :ride:

I'll be honest, I love the way Alpinestar's fit my feet... but they are pieces of shit that just dont hold up. I bought a pair of Gaerne sg10's and the fit is even better and quality cant be beat. Durability and comfort are what I look for in a boot and Gaerne is all Im going to wear for a long time.

Ditto on the SG10's. Very comfy. I use EVS socks & gel soles. I can wear them all day. Alot of support, well made.:ride:

Ditto on the SG10's. Very comfy. I use EVS socks & gel soles. I can wear them all day. Alot of support, well made.:censored:

Yep, I started with a pair of astar tech 6's but they were crap and I just upgraded to the SG10's and what a difference!