07 YZ450f vs. 04 CRF450...Anybody?

I am fixing to trade up my 04 CRF450 for maybe a YZF, RMZ, or KXF. How does the power & handling stack up to an 04 CRF as well as the yelllow and the green machines? I'm not going to even question YZF's reliability, I had a 2000 yz426 that couldn't be beat as far as reliability goes. So fire away give your undivided attention and your most honest unbiased opinions!!!!!

Here's one Honda rider's opinion:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4273868#post4273868

Mine is that the YZ450 is head and shoulders above the Honda. The CRF is a great motorcycle. There's no arguing otherwise. It has a couple of flaws. The valve life is supposed to be fixed, so we'll ignore that and focus on the handling. It's very nimble, but not that well balanced, and has an unfortunate tendency to just suddenly loose the front without warning. They also feel a little more nervous than a YZF, and the front wants to dig inside and tuck under if you're not careful.

The new YZ450 ('06+) does tend to push a little as delivered, but with good tires and a few simple adjustments, it gets over that, and becomes an absolute marvel. It does whatever you want it to when you want it done, and almost never does anything you don't expect of it. It's a very, very neutral handling chassis. You can push the front if you want, hang the tail out if you want, or slide both ends at the same time and change lines at will while doing any of it. It will turn inside or outside of anything else. Despite it's agility, it has a wonderfully planted feel when running fast over rough ground, and never feels nervous or busy.

The RMZ450 is quicker, but is not as neutral or rider friendly, and can't come close power-wise. Plus, it has a rather poorly selected ratio set in the 4 speed, IMO.

I had an old crf450, then I traded up for the 06 yzf450 and it was the greatest move I ever made. The crf hits harder of the start, and is a blast to ride, and the yzf is alot easier to ride and a lot more fun in the corners. The biggest difference between the two bikes.

YZF turns much nicer, that alone is worth getting the bike.

The YZF feels better (ergonomics)

It jumps real nice, a newer CRF proabably feels pretty good also, but this bike feels great in the air, you can manover it in the air with ease.

Once you jet the bike the way the factory should have you will notice a huge improvement.

All and all I think this was the best investment I could have made to improve my riding ability. No joke

Totally agree with Ranger18. Just off 05crf450 and I am especially impressed with the suspension. Much less harsh and jarring.Flight characteristics are much better.You will notice a difference in lower end hit as opposed to honda but the yz has plently of power and was intentionally designed to be smooth in powerflow and thats not a bad thing for the majority of riders. If reliability proves to be as good as everyone says it is I will definitely be pleased with this machine.

Anybody try the KX450? How does it compare?

The one I rode did not handle well at all, especially not by comparison and the suspension was nowhere near as good as either the Honda or the YZF.

the yamaha is so much better than the Honda I had an 04 crf 450 until last year went through 2 sets of valves the suspension sucked and it steered like a tank. I got an 06 yzf 450 and I could not believe how good it was I feel as if I wasted 2 years trying to ride the Honda . So donot believe the mags the Yamaha is leaps and bounds better than any Honda (I have ridden the new crf and they handle better but they dont compare to the Yamaha. ) So spend your money wisely and go Blue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i

I really like my 07 YZ450. It's the easiest 4 stroke to start and ride that I've owned. One finger clutch, great brakes and feels lighter than it's real weight. You already know about the reliability. The Hondas I've ridden have awesome motors and good suspension, but they feel heavier on the track and the punchy power wears out the average rider to quickly.

Motor wise I preferred my 05 crf450 over my 07 yz450,but suspension and overall handling is better on yz.

I rode an 07 CRF450 not long ago and the motor was maybe a little too powerful and the suspension felt like it was stiff enough to be a pro's. Not to mention it still had that slide out at any minute without warning feel to it......thanks guys, I believe I've made my decision to return to blue. I can't wait!

I am fixing to trade up my 04 CRF450 for maybe a YZF, RMZ, or KXF. How does the power & handling stack up to an 04 CRF as well as the yelllow and the green machines? I'm not going to even question YZF's reliability, I had a 2000 yz426 that couldn't be beat as far as reliability goes. So fire away give your undivided attention and your most honest unbiased opinions!!!!!

anything newer than an 04 crf will be head and shoulders above it, i have ridden them all since 05:prof:

I owned and raced a 04 CRF450 and a 05 CRF250. I must say that the honda does have some good handling characteristics "Very stable and neutral when the track would get extreme acceleration and braking bumps". But after making a switch back to Yamaha in 06 with a 250 and 450 I could not be happier. Without going into to much detail the YZF's just flat out handles and feels light years better than the Honda's in both engine and chassis. My Honda's drove me mad with the way the front end felt and handled. Yon can't go wrong with a YZF.